Soft egg laying under roost

My 5 month old pullets have been laying for about 2 weeks. This morning, under their portion of the roosting bar, there was a soft, but fully formed, egg on the ground. This part if the coop is also directly in front of the nesting box- but the egg was not in a nesting box- so I suppose it could be possible that it came from one of my older hens. However, I doubt that as I've never had one if these older hens lay outside the box.

Not quite sure what, if anything, I need to do now that this has happened. I hope it was just a fluke, but any advice?

Yea I had the same problem I got three soft ones under the roost then I got one semi soft one after that iv had no problem

Oyster shells and sand will help bunches oyster shells for the shells and sand to help grind it up.Makes a world of difference

I save my egg shells in a bowl and when it's full, i cook em in microwave for a few mins and put out for them. They love it better than oyster shells. I stlil have oyster shells for when I'm out of egg shells, but it almost works perfect.

No, I am not seeing any signs of respiratory distress. All my hens are healthy sounding and looking and acting. Don't know what the deal is. I read that you are supposed to "cull" the hens from the flock when they are persistently laying rubber eggs. Don't know how we can figure out who it is. Guess I can install a nesting box cam.... yeah, right.

I'm a novice at raising chickens.When my pullets at 5 months layed a few soft shells. I added oyster shells in their feed container. Not a lot just "peppered".
I decided to try this method. Putting it directly in the coop it was getting knocked over, or dirt kicked into it and I couldn't tell if they consumed it or not. Since that time the shell are very strong. I have six hens.

Back
Top Bottom