Soft Egg Shell!!! Did I do something wrong??? Help please....

gattilano

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
I have six leghorns that have been laying eggs already for about 4 weeks. My red star chicken started laying her first egg on Saturday. Today we had 4 normal eggs from my leghorns and 1 white egg with a soft thin shell and 1 brown egg also with a soft thin shell. Today was one of their first hot humid day since they started laying eggs. I read it has to do with heat and poor appetite during a hot day. I feed them the regular poultry feed for layers. Am I missing something or this is just because of the hot day they had.

I got 4 just like yours from one of my Red Stars (or Red Sex Links, Golden Comets, etc) in 3 days - 2 in one day, another the next and then a fourth. No mistaking the double day - I watched both of being dropped on the ground. It wasn't that I was doing anything wrong, and neither are you. Temps here were in the 60's daytime and high 40s to low 50s at night when she did this. They had oyster shell and were on layer pellets since two of the other girls were laying before she started. It just happens. Sometimes the entire production line isn't in sync yet, and sometimes even after they've been laying well for a while they'll still drop a rubber or shell-less egg on occasion. As long as they are getting oyster shell, or hard boiled eggs with the crushed eggshell, and a good quality layer feed you should have nothing to worry about. Oh, and just for more reassurance, the same chicken gave me these once her system settled down:

Her first monster egg - 112 grams - 71 grams is considered Jumbo

It filled my hand.

A couple of weeks later she gave us this whopper....then promptly took the next few days off!

Thank You Blooie for your help!
Now Im looking forward to see if my chickens will give a "monster egg" like yours :) Its huge
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom