soft egg shell - then they eat it!!!!

It sounds like you've tried a lot of things, so if you can't afford to wait, it may be time to give her up. Some chickens have defective shell glands, although I think it's pretty rare. If you are willing to give it more time, you may want to think about changing up the treats. She may be a more sensitive girl, and I know imbalances in their diets can cause problems. I only gave my girls corn in the winter, because it's basically like candy- not much nutritional value. You might want to switch to BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). Also, maybe she needs more protein? I give my chickens some chicken every few days. In terms of introducing somebody new to the flock, it may get a little more difficult with time, but people do it all of the time, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I know, easier said then done. I have to admit that my chickens stress me out. I feel so helpless sometimes because I have so little experience and therefore have no idea what's going on when something new comes up. I agree with ddawn though, the laying down is weird. Maybe she's trying to be broody but grossing herself out? You may want to do a separate post about that part... Good luck, because I can imagine how hard this is!
sad.png

We have just found another squidgy egg. Hubby says we will give her until Friday to sort herself out - then Saturday we'll have to swap her......
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom