Soft egg

Dollie 1

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
I tried to send Poultry parent ,a picture of one of the eggs ,but it wouldn't let me any ideas

Depending on whether you are on a mobile or on your pc, here are a few threads you might check out on how to upload pictures to BYC....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081313/how-to-upload-picture

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746427/posting-pictures-from-mobile

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1107437/pictures-not-showing-up

Good luck with getting a picture uploaded!

I left you some info on using Caltrate to correct soft shells. I have always had luck with the Caltrate, even on the oldest of hens. :)

Try some Human Caltrate pills. These contain all the ingredients needed for a hen to process and use calcium. I have used these for years on old hens or hens with troubles laying soft or yolks with just membranes on them.

Cut a Caltrate pill in half. (you can use the generic form as well, same stuff). You are going to give her a half a pill a day. Break this half into smaller pieces yet and stuff them into raisins. She will never know she is being medicated and think she is getting a treat each day. After about 2 days, she should be putting on a hard shell. Keep up with her Caltrate daily. When you start see a LOT of tiny calcium bumps on the shell, you can back down the amount of times a week you give these to her, as she is now getting excess calcium.

If she still can not put a shell on even after a week on the Caltrate, then something may be wrong with her shell gland.

Make sure she is not being bullied away from food and water and if you have to, put out more food and water stations.

Keep us posted! :)

[COLOR=333333]Try some Human Caltrate pills. These contain all the ingredients needed for a hen to process and use calcium. I have used these for years on old hens or hens with troubles laying soft or yolks with just membranes on them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Cut a Caltrate pill in half. (you can use the generic form as well, same stuff). You are going to give her a half a pill a day. Break this half into smaller pieces yet and stuff them into raisins. She will never know she is being medicated and think she is getting a treat each day. After about 2 days, she should be putting on a hard shell. Keep up with her Caltrate daily. When you start see a LOT of tiny calcium bumps on the shell, you can back down the amount of times a week you give these to her, as she is now getting excess calcium.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]If she still can not put a shell on even after a week on the Caltrate, then something may be wrong with her shell gland. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Make sure she is not being bullied away from food and water and if you have to, put out more food and water stations. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Keep us posted! :)[/COLOR]
How do we know witch chicken it is,do u smash up the caltrate pill mix it in there food

It is best to try and figure out who is laying these soft eggs, not only so you can treat only this hen, but you know their history in case there are future issues. I would spend a day up at the coop and watch who goes in and out of the boxes until you figure this out.

But for now, give the Caltrate to the ones you know could be the culprits. And after watching them for a few days, you should be able to figure out who is laying the softies.

I just break the pill up as best as possible and stuff them into raisins. You can also crush the pill down to powder and mix 1 ml of Gerber Baby food and without a needle, shoot this down the throat with a syringe.

For identifying eggs by each hen - some folks put lipstick on their vents. A different color for each hen -make sure to label the lipstick with hen's name so you know what color is which hen. When they lay, the lipstick will rub off on the egg. After using the lipstick on the hens, toss them out.

You can get cheap lipstick etc at Dollar Tree

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Soft shells can be caused by a number of things, lack of calcium or problems absorbing calcium being some, but it could also be tress-related, a sign of a parasite load (worms for example) etc. More info and causes here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Back
Top Bottom