Soft egg?

Mama2chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Fort Collins
This is the first time I've ever had chickens and we have been anxiously awaiting eggs. My 20 week old EE has just started laying. We have gotten 1 egg everyday this week until today. After inspecting the nesting boxes I discovered there had been an egg. There was just a broken membrane and yolk all over. Is it normal for this to happen occasionally when they first start laying?

I think soft eggs at first can be normal... but it could be a sign that they are lacking calcium.. You they getting layer crumbles? If your concerned you can give them egg shells, or oyster sell which is pretty cheap at a feed store.

I'm no expert... but those are my 2cents
smile.png

Every so often chickens will lay a soft egg. I've heard it happens more often when they start laying, but that hasn't been my experience...

If you do find shell with it in the future, you've probably got an egg-eating problem and may need to cull whatever birds are the culprits.
sad.png

My 20 week old Black Sexlink has been laying since Saturday, 2 every 20 hours! So as of yesterday I have 6 eggs! This morning I went to let them out, checked the nest boxes, and found nothing. As I was about to lock up the coop I noticed a soft shelled egg on the floor under their perch! Pretty sure she needs more calcium.. I'm heading out to the feed store (as soon as I can drag myself off BYC!) to get some oyster shells for her. I will let you know what happens!
Thank you BYC members who help us newbies! Your advice is soooooo appreciated!
bow.gif

We don't do anything special when our chickens lay a soft egg. They get over it, and it only happens once in a while. They free-range, so they also get natural supplements.

Mine free range too, maybe I'll wait and see what happens today. Since she is laying so much, do you think she will slow down a bit to 1 egg in 24 hours? I am worried about egg binding and other problems, especially after seeing the soft shell egg this morning... or am I over-reacting! LOL! Thanks!

Quote:
Don't give them regular egg shells! Once they start eating them, they have a tendency to cannibalize their own eggs. Get the oyster shell pieces, they really are a cheap way to add calcium to their diets. My birds also get plain or vanilla yogurt and cottage cheese on occasion to boost their calcium intake. Beware of yogurt tho, they *really* like it and make a big MESS flinging it around and such! Just occurred to me I ought to try vanilla ice cream too, they might like it in this oppressive heat!

That usually means there is a calcium deficiency. Dissolve a calcium vitamin from a health store in a little cup of water and put it in their drinking water about once a week for a while then lower it down to about once a month.

Still haven't had an egg yet since the soft shell.. She is in the box right now, so I hope all is ok! I bought some oyster shells just to be safe, I figure it can't hurt anything! She and a few others ate some, so maybe I will get a big beautiful egg! I'll let you know!

Back
Top Bottom