Soft shell egg next to yolk

thelox_16

Chirping
Jan 26, 2021
Homestead, FL
Hello, I have six barred rocks that just started laying this week. They are 21 weeks and I know of two of them that are laying eggs. We have had three eggs this week, but today when I went to check on the nest I noticed there was a soft shell egg and right next to it was an egg yolk. They eat the Purina layer pellets and also have free access to oyster shells. Not sure this is because they just started laying this week or what but here are some pictures. I did not take a picture of the egg yolk by itself.

egg.jpg
egg 1.jpg

Yeah, I haven't had an identical experience but whenever I have a hen start to lay for the first time there are almost always abnormalities.

i have 8 pullets and they started laying about 3 weeks about they are almost 5months..getting about 3-5 a day it differs..? could it be the heat? we had 6 in one day..but this morning i had the same thing with the soggy shell and yolk next to it..the other day their was just a yolk?

Hmm. Egg abnormalities are pretty common when they’re just starting. Some won’t lay an egg every day, either. Just give her some time so her system can straighten out. I’ve had soft or rubbery eggs, but never seen a yolk on the outside. That’s interesting.

Back
Top Bottom