Soft shell egg

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
Is it normal when a young hen comes into lay that she may lay rubbery shelled egg? She has plenty of free choice oyster shells in numerous locations throughout the run! Yesterday she layer her first one , the small one in the photo and the shell was nice and hard.. I could tell that she tried to peck at it cause the shell had a small tear in it.. I am so thankful she passed this and it didn’t get hung in her duct the bottom picture is todays soft shell egg

Attachments

• 76A51640-9CD2-49C2-81E1-D100A3B478E8.jpeg
    76A51640-9CD2-49C2-81E1-D100A3B478E8.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 21
It's completely normal! Nothing of concern, unless it becomes consistent.
When a hen first comes into lay will it make them act like they are lethargic, or like it is taking everything out of them to lay? The hen in question is just not acting right, and she is now back on the nest box …they get fed a nutrient complete layer …. Her comb and waddles are still nice and red…….she just layed another egg!! And she hasn’t left yet, but looks rubbery like the first one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 21
When a hen first comes into lay will it make them act like they are lethargic, or like it is taking everything out of them to lay? The hen in question is just not acting right, and she is now back on the nest box …they get fed a nutrient complete layer …. Her comb and waddles are still nice and red
Ah...if she's lethargic then, that's not normal. She's probably having a hard time passing a shell-less egg, it can and will cause them to be lethargic.
Was she lethargic at all that you know of when she was laying her other two eggs?

Ah...if she's lethargic then, that's not normal. She's probably having a hard time passing a shell-less egg, it can and will cause them to be lethargic.
Was she lethargic at all that you know of when she was laying her other two eggs?
She only layed one egg yesterday the small one in the other thread picture , she was perfectly fine , just now she layed another soft shelled egg, she layed two with in the hour , from what I can tell now, she seems perky again!! Is it common for coming into lay for the pullet to lay 2???….and for the record it was not shell-less just rubbery

Last edited:
You probably want to have a bottle of calcium citrate with D3 on hand for her if she is having trouble. That can help them pass difficult eggs, and gives them a short term boost of calcium.

You can also try flaked oyster shell to see if she'll eat that one more readily, but everyday layers will often have a hard time with this kind of stuff either way.

You probably want to have a bottle of calcium citrate with D3 on hand for her if she is having trouble. That can help them pass difficult eggs, and gives them a short term boost of calcium.

You can also try flaked oyster shell to see if she'll eat that one more readily, but everyday layers will often have a hard time with this kind of stuff either way.
She has a choice of both types of oyster shells, flake and the kind from TSC that looks like white grit..lol.. where do I get that supplement? I just hoping this will pass, cause her first egg yesterday was perfectly normal but it was small

She only layed one egg yesterday the small one in the other thread picture , she was perfectly fine , just now she layed another soft shelled egg, she layed two with in the hour , from what I can tell now, she seems perky again!! Is it common for coming into lay for the pullet to lay 2???….and for the record it was not shell-less just rubbery
Oh goodness! I don't think its too too common for a new layer to lay two in a day. Hopefully this won't happen a whole lot more.
As @Saveria mentioned, it would be good to get some calcium citrate +D3 (It's best for it to have at least 500mg of calcium). Whenever she's having trouble with an egg and is acting lethargic, just pop one tablet into her mouth and it'll help her out with that egg.

Oh goodness! I don't think its too too common for a new layer to lay two in a day. Hopefully this won't happen a whole lot more.
As @Saveria mentioned, it would be good to get some calcium citrate +D3 (It's best for it to have at least 500mg of calcium). Whenever she's having trouble with an egg and is acting lethargic, just pop one tablet into her mouth and it'll help her out with that egg.
Well leave it to Ellie Mae to lay me two soft shelled eggs in one day, and what’s crazy is her eggs were supposed to be olive green not brown! She is a Sapphire Olive Egger

Back
Top Bottom