Soft Shell Eggs

JamesZ

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2020
Dallas, TX
I have a Buff Orpington (a little over a year old) that has been laying a lot of soft shelled/broken eggs. 3 in the past 3-4 days and about 7 in the past 2 weeks. They are fed with Kalmbach Feeds Hi Omega All Natural Layer Crumbles (17% protein), always have access to clean water and oyster shells, grit. I give them scratch occasionally in moderation and we do give them supplementary scraps occasionally. I am starting to wonder if this is a dietary issue or potentially an issue with the chicken. I am use to the others rarely having a soft egg, but this seems to be happening a lot with 1 chicken in particular. She does have some scrappy looking feathers at the moment and for the past 2ish months due to molting. Any adivce is appreciated as I've only been raising chickens for about 2 years.

Some chickens just seem to have glitchy egg systems. I have one like that. I have started supplementing her with a calcium citrate with D3 tablet twice a week. I don't think mine eats the oyster shell. You can try some high calcium treat for yours, such a a little yogurt once in a while. it's also possible, since she is still young, that she's just working out some kinks, and it may resolve on it's own. I would keep a close eye on her for egg binding or EYP, as shell less eggs can break inside the hen.

Back
Top Bottom