Soft shell eggs

skyefry

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2023
Hello y’all! I’m a little stumped on what else I should try with my hen that keeps laying soft shell eggs about every other day. She DOES lay normal eggs but then turns around the next day and lays a soft shell egg. I don’t want her to end up egg bound or worse….

I feed them the Red bag of Naturewise 16% crumble layer feed and I also use the MannaPro Omega Egg Layer as a top feed daily. I also have oyster shells free fed in a container which I see them both eating regularly.

Any and all suggestions will help!! Thanks in advance!!

Hello! I would dose her with calcium citrate for a few days, see if she shows improvement.

Could she be kept from feed? Do you have a spot with a hidden feeder and water?
1000003677.png

Hello! I would dose her with calcium citrate for a few days, see if she shows improvement.

Could she be kept from feed? Do you have a spot with a hidden feeder and water?
View attachment 3626910
I’ll try to get that stuff I’ve never heard of if before!!
And no, my coop is all open layout and the feeder and 2 waters are easily accessible. I see her drink and eat regularly.

Check her crop at night, see if it's full.
It is! I try and check all the girls each night and I keep a close eye on her and it’s always normal. That’s why I’ve been so stumped😅I’m going to try that Calcium Citrate and see if that helps!!

I got her in March of this year, so 6/7 months old? She is an Easter Egger.
AH so that's the answer. She's still a pullet. Soft shell eggs are common in pullets, as their bodies are still figuring out how to manage the whole process. First come the pullet (small) eggs, then a variety of fairy eggs, soft shell, or shell-less eggs, or huge double-yolkers. Sometime before the one-year mark, it settles down to more consistent, quality eggs.

AH so that's the answer. She's still a pullet. Soft shell eggs are common in pullets, as their bodies are still figuring out how to manage the whole process. First come the pullet (small) eggs, then a variety of fairy eggs, soft shell, or shell-less eggs, or huge double-yolkers. Sometime before the one-year mark, it settles down to more consistent, quality eggs.
So you don’t think I should worry too much yet because she’s still young? It’s true the eggs I am getting from them are all still on the smaller size.

So you don’t think I should worry too much yet because she’s still young? It’s true the eggs I am getting from them are all still on the smaller size.
Correct. As long as they're getting enough calcium from either their feed or supplemented oyster shell, etc.... I wouldn't worry at all. I kept pullets from three hatches this spring (Feb, March, April) and still regularly get soft-shell or shell-less eggs, among all the pullet eggs.

Back
Top Bottom