soft shell eggs?

shadow2008

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Hi, I am new here, forgive me if this has been asked before. I have some new chickens just added to my flock. Today I went to check on them before leaving for work and there was an egg that felt like a Nerf ball. Has anyone ever had this happen? Also what can I do? They are currently on a commercial feed(Nutrena) and grass.

thanks,

Karen

You need to get some oyster shells and have them available to them at all times. The calcium will stiffen up the shells. BTW, you can get them at the feed store and they are cheap and last a long, long time

Also, now and then a hen will lay an odd egg, like a soft shell, tiny, odd shape, etc. Normal. We just don't see them in the grocery stores because they are sorted out. Happens more often when they first start laying.

Quote:
I had the same thing happen to one of my hens. MissPrissy suggested my giving my hens yogurt and fresh spinach; it worked. I now make yogurt by the gallon for the price of a gallon of milk using Miss Prissy's yogurt recipe.

YOGURT RECIPE
By MissPrissy on BYC

First you need a good starter of plain yogurt culture. You can buy it dried, but the best way is to buy a container of good yogurt that you like to eat. Plain yogurt. Nothing with fruit or other flavors in it. I use Stonyfield Farms Organic plain yogurt. It has 6 different types of active yogurt cultures in it.

If you want a thick yogurt you will need a small box of powdered milk.

Cow milk or goat milk will make good yogurt.

Using quart-sized mason jars - Sterilize the jars and lids.

1 quart of milk mixed with 1/3 cup powdered milk.

Using a candy thermometer heat the milk slowly to 185 degrees.

Remove from heat.

Allow to cool naturally (or set pot in a ice water bath and carefully watch the temp -it will drop fast while stirring) to 110 degrees.

Stir in 2 heaping tbsp of your plain yogurt. Mix well until all is dissolved.

Pour the mixture in your quart sized jar. Wrap in a dishtowel to insulate.

Using a second jar, fill it with boiling water. Wrap it in a dish towel to insulate.

Place both jars in a small cooler that you have heated with hot water****. Allow the yogurt to cure for 10 - 12 hours. When the milk is set to a solid, it is ready. Refrigerate and serve cold.

If you do this in the morning, you will have fresh yogurt for the following morning.

****Do not leave water in the cooler. Fill the cool with hot water while you are preparing everything then pour it out. You simply want a warm place to incubate your yogurt cultures.

Last edited:
hehe
lol.png
whats a nerf ball !!?? it sounds funny !!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom