soft shell eggs

owensfive

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
we have 9 hens that just started lays eggs.
what causes soft shell eggs
we are feeding them 16% layer feed bought at local feed store mixed with crushed oyster shells
thanks owensfive

just put a bowl of milk down every day until they lay proper eggs....then put a bowl down a couple of times a week.....trust me...it works...i have been doing this for my girls when they started laying soft shell eggs....I have a friend who is a breeder and she told me this tip....worked like a dream.....
2665.png
Marianne

It does happen sometimes, like for now with my hens, I'm seeing it a lot lately. I think if there is some stress involved, that it's more likely. My bird's stress has been that I added a new hen (#4) and they had to do an internal reorganization, and these four chooks had to shuffle the hierarchy in the flock. Just now, I notice #3 hen lay a soft shelled egg in the yard and allowed the three others to go for it - and they did, but she left it for them and went off like it was a gift for them, or some kind of payment or something.

I'm still trying to figure chicken psychology out.

yes, that is possible...until your girls start laying normal eggs...I would suggest getting some fake rubber, or wooden eggs, and leave them in the nest... this will stop your girls eating any eggs...
2665.png
regards Marianne,

I changed the grit I was giving the girls as it was mixed sized and I noticed all the little stuff (pebble type bits) was being left. I have been giving just bigger oyster shell for the last couple of weeks and haven't had an issues since, plus all their shells seem lovely and strong now. Betty our bluebell lays monster sized double Yorkers at least 4 times a week, hers is the big one, the middle is a good average sized from my sussex and the little one is a bantam orpington. Hope it all sorts itself out x

Shell quality is an indicator of good health and proper nutrition. Birds that have soft shells have something lacking in their diet or they are having health problems. Sometimes it happens by coincidence, and sometimes birds lay weird eggs due to age or molting. If you have bad shells, the eggs don't hatch well (if incubated) and if you are selling them for eating they will break easily and bacteria is more likely to get in the egg.

Pullets who start to lay should have nice hard shells from the start, if not then at least by the 5th egg. Some birds get enough calcium from feed, but it depends on what you feed them. I offer mine oyster shells. They can eat them if they want. I also give them hard boiled eggs with the shells so they can get calcium that way. There are also foods like strawberries that have lots of calcium and you can add those to the diet as well.

I think it just happens sometimes. As long as you offer oyster shell, I imagine they will start laying plenty of hard shell eggs. As long as you aren't getting only soft eggs, I wouldn't worry about it.

For the first month or so of laying, hens will lay all sorts of strange eggs before settling in. They can lay soft shells, small eggs, double-yolkers, no-yolkers, etc. One of my girls even layed a wrinkly shell!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom