Soft shell mystery solved!

Jul 9, 2020
Guthrie, ok
My Coop
My Coop
Back story: my girls are on organic layer pellets and have always had access to both crushed eggshells and oyster shell.
Shortly after getting a rooster, I noticed many more soft shelled eggs.There were several times I had to pull broken soft shells from the hens' behind.I did tons of research and tried so many different things with no change. I began to wonder if it was just because there was a rooster.
It took me months to figure out that around the same time we got a rooster, I had started washing and refilling the waterers inside the house instead of bending over with the hose.
After realizing this, I went back to refilling with the hose. The soft shells stopped after a couple days. Haven't had one since.
The difference???
Our indoor water is softened water, outdoor water is regular hard water from the well before it goes into the house softening system.
I hope this helps some of you out there!

Back story: my girls are on organic layer pellets and have always had access to both crushed eggshells and oyster shell.
Shortly after getting a rooster, I noticed many more soft shelled eggs.There were several times I had to pull broken soft shells from the hens' behind.I did tons of research and tried so many different things with no change. I began to wonder if it was just because there was a rooster.
It took me months to figure out that around the same time we got a rooster, I had started washing and refilling the waterers inside the house instead of bending over with the hose.
After realizing this, I went back to refilling with the hose. The soft shells stopped after a couple days. Haven't had one since.
The difference???
Our indoor water is softened water, outdoor water is regular hard water from the well before it goes into the house softening system.

So interesting - we have soft water even at the hose, and no soft shell problems (beyond the few from hens when they were young and first laying). We use flock raiser feed (no added calcium) and oyster shell as free choice.

The difference???
Thank you so much. Have had a couple soft shelled eggs and also have a water conditioner. I wondered a few times if this could be detrimental. Thanks again. The Peep Show Mom

Back
Top Bottom