Soft shell, no shell, then pacing in and out of nesting boxes

CJS Flock

Songster
Jul 14, 2020
Hi all,
I have a White Rock that has been laying for a few months now. She lays medium size eggs about every day to two days. She is 8 months old. Yesterday morning I found a soft shelled egg under her roosting bar and then this morning found one without a shell. She is now pacing in and out of the nesting boxes. She is a great eater and forager. No signs of illness, has oyster shells available at all times and only gets blueberries every few days. I have a video monitor in the coop so I know it is her laying these eggs and can see her pacing. Wondering if I should be concerned because of the pacing that she is doing. Anyone seen this type of behavior before?

Hi all,
I have a White Rock that has been laying for a few months now. She lays medium size eggs about every day to two days. She is 8 months old. Yesterday morning I found a soft shelled egg under her roosting bar and then this morning found one without a shell. She is now pacing in and out of the nesting boxes. She is a great eater and forager. No signs of illness, has oyster shells available at all times and only gets blueberries every few days. I have a video monitor in the coop so I know it is her laying these eggs and can see her pacing. Wondering if I should be concerned because of the pacing that she is doing. Anyone seen this type of behavior before?
I was just told a calcium nitrate pill may work. I have a 6mo old sex link doing the same thing. Mine won't eat oyster shells or crushed egg shells.

I'd give her a Calcium Citrate or if you don't have that, Tums will work (just not as well). Place her in a makeshift nest that's dark and without distractions and if you can make the nest in a steamy bathroom, that'd be ideal. Check on her in about an hour. Is she able to poop?

Thanks, I'll try it
Please let us know how she does and if she ever lays. It'd be a good idea to get a bottle of Calcium Citrate + Vit D3 (human "CitraCal", I use the generic version) and give her one tablet per day until she's back to laying a nicely shelled egg. Calcium Citrate works better for the hen plus the vitamin D3 helps it work better. It's superior to Tums but in a pinch, Tums is better than nothing. I wish you the best and hope she's already laid and back to normal

Please let us know how she does and if she ever lays. It'd be a good idea to get a bottle of Calcium Citrate + Vit D3 (human "CitraCal", I use the generic version) and give her one tablet per day until she's back to laying a nicely shelled egg. Calcium Citrate works better for the hen plus the vitamin D3 helps it work better. It's superior to Tums but in a pinch, Tums is better than nothing. I wish you the best and hope she's already laid and back to normal
Will do - thanks much

Back
Top Bottom