Solar lights for coop area :o}

erthymom2

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
I have alot of young chicks just out to the baby chick coop for their first time and got the idea that some sort of lighting might make them feel less scared (and makes me feel better too!). I got two sets of solar lights and hung them around the fenced coop area and even put two hanging in their windows. Right now they are just coiming on and what a nice glow there is around their coop. I have two large dogs that sleep outside in the nicer weather usually right at the coop entrance so predators are not a problem, but the lighting from the solars makes a nice addition in case some creepy crawly tries to come into the fenced area.

I have a variety of solar lights in my back yard, which is the Chicken Compound. They're mostly on stakes, or down low around the goldfish pond. I also have a solar powered shed light in my coop, with the collector panel on the outside. This makes it easy to turn on a light in the coop for just enough light so I don't trip over anything. I haven't thought about hanging solar decorative lights around the coop, itself, though. Sounds like a good idea!

I was looking at some of the ones you stick into the ground today to put around my run. I was wondering how much actual light they give off as I've never seen them in action. Anyone have a comparison that will help me out?

Last edited:
I bought a solar light with a motion detector to hang on the front of my coop. I figure it will be nice for late night trips to the coop and to ward off night time predators. You can get them pretty cheap at the big box home improvement stores right now.

I was thinking about using them too, kind of a transition from brooder light all the time to total darkness from the outside world! In addition, makes for some nice lighting for those frequent "just in case something is wrong" checks I am sure to do with this first batch of chicks once they move out to the coop/run at the back of our property!

My new solar party lights just finished their two day charging period. I'm super anxious to see them tonight! I'm hoping that the bright colors will make my coop a little more festive, since making it racoon proof also made it look a lot like chicken prison.

Back
Top Bottom