Solar Power in the Chicken House

I thought I'd post an update. Thus far I've received the following components to my 12v solar power generator: 20 watt solar panel, solar controller, a light switch, 50ft of extra cable. I've got the dc heat strip on order. It should be here early this coming week. The heat strip is made of silicone-rubber, and one side is adhesive. It is 1inch by two inches, and its 10 watts. I still need to get a 12volt deep cycle battery. The solar panel will be connected to the solar controller. The solar controller will then be connected to the battery. The solar controller prevents the panel from over-charging the battery. The light switch will then be connected to the battery. The heat strip will then be connected from the light switch. I will be able to turn the heater off/on with the light switch. The heat strip will be attached to a galvanized waterer.

1441_solar07.jpg

1441_solar04.jpg

1441_solar06.jpg

1441_solar05.jpg

And this gives you an idea about the heaters. They come in all different shapes and sizes....

SRH%20collage.png

If you don't mind Scott, can you put up some prices and sources?? This is a fascinating thread, and I can see all kinds of applications in the henhouse for a like system.

For example, I'm considering putting a solar powered trough heater in my water supply barrel to keep it from freezing. Water makes great thermal storage mass too so there are excellent coop heating solutions here too.

Press on! You're doing great!!

wink.png

Awesome Scott! I ordered a thermostatic switch that kicks on at 40 degrees and off at 50, it came in the mail. I need to order one of the little 12v heaters, have you received yours?

Quote:
No, I havent received the heater yet. But then again, I didnt actually order it until this past thursday or friday. It should be here early this week. Have a photo or link to the thermostat?

for 20W max incoming, and a potential constant 10w drain, I wouldn't bother with the charge controller... especially since they mis-spelled "connect"!

I guess the charge controller would be useful in the summer months... but in the winter months, it probably won't be needed.

Remember, with DC... the shorter the cable runs, the better.

Don't forget an inline fuse on the heater (5amp max).

Quote:
I hadnt noticed that until you mentioned it. Another downside to much of our goods being produced in China these days... not only is our country being undercut in jobs, we get less-than-ideal spelling on some of our products. Let's hope the quality is better than their spelling.

Why would you go without a solar controller? It prevents the battery from overcharging and keeps any current from going to the panel from the battery. As far as I know, use of a solar controller is not season specific.

What function would the fuse serve?

Last edited:
Quote:
I hadnt noticed that until you mentioned it. Another downside to much of our goods being produced in China these days... not only is our country being undercut in jobs, we get less-than-ideal spelling on some of our products. Let's hope the quality is better than their spelling.

Why would you go without a solar controller? It prevents the battery from overcharging and keeps any current from going to the panel from the battery. As far as I know, use of a solar controller is not season specific.

I would not ommit the charge controller.

I want "in" on this too Scott. I've been wanting to try something like this to light the chicken house in winter. Sounds like I'd need a whole lot of panels. We had several days of 12 degree temps. here in central Alabama this winter but I'm lucky that my semi-free rangers have access to a spring and pond where the water temp. coming out is a constant 68 degrees year round. During the cold spell it was funny to see the chickens walking up and down the stream with the ducks. Guess it kept their feet warm.

Thanks for the the great info. so far!
Jo

Back
Top Bottom