Solar Powered Generators for Powering De-icer?

Apr 5, 2019
Yellowstone County, Montana
Have any of you used a solar-powered generator to power things in your coop, such as a de-icer, lights, or ventilation fan?

I’m not talking about solar-powered devices that only work when the sun is out, but a solar-powered generator that I could plug my devices into.

My goal is to be prepared for this upcoming winter. I am moving again and the chickens are coming with me. However the new home hasn’t been built yet. It’s raw land in the middle of nowhere. There’s no electricity, no water, no house. While building our new house, I won’t be living at the same location as the chickens, so at best I’ll be able to visit them once a day.

The issue is in the winter their water freezes solid within an hour of replacing it, as temperatures dip well below freezing and can stay there for weeks.

I’ve tried placing water in the coop, adding ping-pong balls to bob around and stop ice forming, refilling with warmer water… it all freezes much more quickly than I’d like and requires constant monitoring.

The only success I’ve had in the past is when I use a heated dog water bowl. But without power, I’m not sure how else to provide them with fresh water throughout the day when I’m not living on site.

So I don't live where I have to deal with snow and ice. But I have some experience with solar powered generators. They can be pretty powerful. I use my coworkers out on job sites. We use it with power tools and lasts pretty long. You do need to use them and don't let them drop past a certain charge or they won't recharge.

The only big issue is, that they are not usually meant to be out in the elements. Others may be ok, but you will likely need to build a house for it so it is not out in the snow.

What did you end up doing? I'm facing the same problem with my chickens in a school garden that doesn't have any electricity. I was looking at a solar generator, but then my search also found solar/wind combinations. I, too, was wondering if anyone had experience with it. I know we have a few techies on the site!

Just following up on this thread to see what worked? As we are changing seasons here in utah I’m wondering if there is a possibility of plugging in a de-iCer to solar but so far all I’m finding is paying a fortune for a solar powered generator that’s out of stock.

I ended up with 2 solar panels charging 2 car batteries. I used a heat pad in the waterer, as it draws less energy. That was hooked up to a temperature switch that I set to turn on at 1.5°C and turn off at 2.5°C. It worked very well, well enough that I'm thinking of adding a heat plate this year, as the pop door is always open.

I ended up with 2 solar panels charging 2 car batteries. I used a heat pad in the waterer, as it draws less energy. That was hooked up to a temperature switch that I set to turn on at 1.5°C and turn off at 2.5°C. It worked very well, well enough that I'm thinking of adding a heat plate this year, as the pop door is always open.
That’s awesome. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom