Solid Surface Roof on Run? Pros and Cons?

Hello from the Sandhills! :frow

Our current build is for an open-air coop -- a roofed run with shelter at one end.

We're roofing the entire thing for three reasons:

1. It's easier to handle pieces of metal roofing than pieces of hardware cloth when working on a walk-in coop's roof.

2. There is no natural shade in this portion of the yard and the trees we will plant will take a bit to grow up.

3. DH believes that he can put up the metal roof faster than he can install hardware cloth.

We chose metal because it's faster, because the current prices make it cheaper than plywood and shingles, because the Ondura roof of a existing structure we had to dismantle was in very poor condition after no more than a decade, and because DH isn't impressed with the quality of the PVC panels -- fearing that they'll be easily punctured by debris (did we have 4 hurricanes or 5 last year? I lost count. 😆 ).
If I had it to do over again, then I would definitely build a walk-in coop, especially now that I am adding a run. I inherited mine from a friend, and the "run" is located under the coop, but it is only 4 x 8 and they just don't like to hang out down there.

I like the aesthetics of a metal roof, and ease of installation is appealing because I will be paying someone to help me with the labor. Easy should keep the cost down. Really important, as buying the coop led to fencing the garden, running power and water to the coop, and now the need for a run. My husband is less than enthusiastic about what he calls the construction of the "chicken estate".

Thank you for sharing! Helpful.

Yeah...nothing cheap about those cheap chicks. :lau

If doing a metal run roof look for salvaged metal. It saved me an unbelievable amount of money.

My big house is 8x14, the medium house is 6x8 and my duck house is 5x8. The big run is 16x23 roughly. All that was done with salvaged metal.
That's a good suggestion thank you! I dragged an old louvered front door out of the basement last night thinking I could salvage it. Think it was original to our house from the 1930's, but it is so heavy and damaged at the hinge side, but I am going to clean it up today and see.

Will look for some salvaged metal!

That's a good suggestion thank you! I dragged an old louvered front door out of the basement last night thinking I could salvage it. Think it was original to our house from the 1930's, but it is so heavy and damaged at the hinge side, but I am going to clean it up today and see.

Will look for some salvaged metal!

Ours was originally on an industrial building. They just wanted it gone so we paid only $175 for 3 pick up loads. It was CRAZY cheap. You may have to be patient while looking for some.

Many want the hens to 'sleep in the open as they would like it' but reality is they will be eaten if not houses securely.
Get a coop and lock them in at night...

As for the Run, I had a big 10'x20' fabric carport that I put wire all around to secure them. Summer I had bird netting over the top and winter I put the carport plastic fabric cover on .
Summer time I also tossed over a Shade cloth over the bird netting on the 1/2 attached to the run. This gives them shade and a sunny side for sun bathing..... which will make you think your bird is dead and go running out there only to have them POP up when you touch them. That was my 1st heart attack I ever had with hens LOL

I had clear polycarbonate panels on the roof of the run for most of last year and loved them. The run is under a large tree, so I didn't need an opaque roof for shade. I like that they were clear, they let more light in and it was never gloomy in there. I like that it kept their run dry. I really wish I could've kept it, but my neighbor on one side hates the chickens and fought a ridiculous war against them, which resulted in me being forced to take the run roof down. So now I have welded wire instead. It rains a lot in the spring and fall here, and snows some in the winter, so I ended up putting a couple of patio umbrellas in the run to give the chickens some shelter. They really don't like being outside if it's actively raining or snowing. So I'd definitely recommend the clear panels if you can afford it (hardware cloth is expensive too, so I'm not sure the HC option would actually be cheaper). Or at the very least, have part of the run covered with a solid roof to give the chickens shelter from the elements, and the rest can be wire. The panels are MUCH easier to install than HC, too.
Damned neighbor!

Many want the hens to 'sleep in the open as they would like it' but reality is they will be eaten if not houses securely.
Get a coop and lock them in at night...

As for the Run, I had a big 10'x20' fabric carport that I put wire all around to secure them. Summer I had bird netting over the top and winter I put the carport plastic fabric cover on .
Summer time I also tossed over a Shade cloth over the bird netting on the 1/2 attached to the run. This gives them shade and a sunny side for sun bathing..... which will make you think your bird is dead and go running out there only to have them POP up when you touch them. That was my 1st heart attack I ever had with hens LOL
Totally agree! They need to be locked up super secure at night!
There's all kinds of things out there looking for a easy chicken dinner.

Dear Chicken Experts,

My flock of five girls (born August 2020) needs a chicken run. The hawks are visiting daily and I lost my sweetest Buff, Charlotte, last week. (We also have fox, raccoon and possum.) I am often in the garden, but not always. They are used to free ranging in our little quarter of acre back yard, so the run will be an adjustment. I bought an Omelet movable fencing pen but they fly out or squirm under, and obviously there's no protection from the sky predators.

I've read through tons of threads about runs on here. This community is amazing! Taken lots and lots of notes.

I am debating whether to put a solid surface roof on my run? I live in Charlotte, NC, where winters are mild and summers are HOT. I think the girls would really enjoy sleeping safely under the stars. Coop is 4 feet x 8 feet and partially shaded from the afternoon sun, but not totally. The coop is elevated, so there is a shaded "run" portion under the coop, but it is small. I have enough room for about 7 feet by 10 feet extension off to the side. I am leaning towards a hardware cloth roof.

Can y'all give me your expert opinions on solid surface versus hardware cloth?

Thank you! Yours, Melinda
I have a 12x20 run with a tin roof, rusted. Really! We got it from an old farm building that a storm took out.

Dear Chicken Experts,

My flock of five girls (born August 2020) needs a chicken run. The hawks are visiting daily and I lost my sweetest Buff, Charlotte, last week. (We also have fox, raccoon and possum.) I am often in the garden, but not always. They are used to free ranging in our little quarter of acre back yard, so the run will be an adjustment. I bought an Omelet movable fencing pen but they fly out or squirm under, and obviously there's no protection from the sky predators.

I've read through tons of threads about runs on here. This community is amazing! Taken lots and lots of notes.

I am debating whether to put a solid surface roof on my run? I live in Charlotte, NC, where winters are mild and summers are HOT. I think the girls would really enjoy sleeping safely under the stars. Coop is 4 feet x 8 feet and partially shaded from the afternoon sun, but not totally. The coop is elevated, so there is a shaded "run" portion under the coop, but it is small. I have enough room for about 7 feet by 10 feet extension off to the side. I am leaning towards a hardware cloth roof.

Can y'all give me your expert opinions on solid surface versus hardware cloth?

Thank you! Yours, Melinda
My run is a repurposed chainlink dog pen. I so have a solid roof over it which was worth the investment. It keeps the run dry. Before I had it built, the mud would suck my boot off during periods of heavy rain. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom