Solitary chicken

tylinn

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
Hello,
I recently bought two 12 week old chicks. And for unknown reasons, one of them has passed away. I now only have one remaining chick left - but she too is now sick with cold. (The one who passed away had no signs of sneezing or wheezing, one day she just stopped walking and the next day she died) I have three hens which are 3 years old, and I wish to add the new 12 week old to my flock. But not until she is completely healthy and safe as to not infect my hens. She is quarantined, and I spend as much time as I can with her. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do to help her stay happy and comfortable? She's locked up at night, and I've given her a teddy to sleep with so she doesn't feel so lonely. She so stressed as it is, being sick, I don't want her to be anymore uncomfortable.

Thank you for your help.

It probably doesn't help but I only have one chicken. She seems happy by herself she just relies on me for some attention. I'm working on getting her a friend.

I've read that chickens don't get "colds" they get respiratory infections that they carry for life. You'll be exposing your hens when you add the chick to our flock, and any new chicks you get will likely themselves become infected. I wouldn't add a sick bird to my flock.

Again, that's what I've read here. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will see this and confirm or refute it.

Thank you for replying :)
I've read many threads about them having respiratory infections too. I'm getting her some Tylan to hopefully knock it off. But I didn't realise that even after she stops the sneezing and looks "better" that she could still infect my hens. I couldn't cull her, she is the sweetest little thing. It's heartbreaking to see her so lonely. I don't want her to live alone all her life :(

It's positive reading that your hen its happy living alone. Gives me hope that she'll be okay

Back
Top Bottom