(SOLVED) Please help, I might have accidentally killed my first batch.

Okay or Not?

• Okay, no worries.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not okay, time to worry.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
thumbsup.gif
Great news!
There's a crack in one of them, and I've been hearing peeps all morning~ <3

What was your first hatching experience like?

There's a crack in one of them, and I've been hearing peeps all morning~ <3

What was your first hatching experience like?
My first hatch was awful! I borrowed my sister's bator but it didn't have any thermometers/hygrometer so I went and bought a dial type combo from Springfield. I ran my humidity at the "recommended" 50-60%. Had 17 eggs developing at lockdown though they looked behind. I ended up with one hatcher at day 24 that lived (but later showed leg issues) and one hatcher at day 25 that didn't make it. I was told to check the thermometer so I did and found that it was 6 degrees off!! So my incubation was 6 degrees low the entire time. Add that to the fact that my humidity was high and I probably drowned anything that had a chance. Swore we were not going to do it again and then three weeks later we armed ourselves with 3 checked and accurate thermometers, a lot of research on dry incubation or low humidity incubation and we set more eggs. (My sister raises chickens so we had an unlimited supply of eggs....lol) Second try had an awesome hatch with 17 hatchers and have been having great hatches since. One of the reasons why I like helping others is because I know how dissapointing waiting 21 days to see babies are and having dismal results, so if I can help someone else to not have to deal with that, I feel good.

My first hatch was awful! I borrowed my sister's bator but it didn't have any thermometers/hygrometer so I went and bought a dial type combo from Springfield. I ran my humidity at the "recommended" 50-60%. Had 17 eggs developing at lockdown though they looked behind. I ended up with one hatcher at day 24 that lived (but later showed leg issues) and one hatcher at day 25 that didn't make it. I was told to check the thermometer so I did and found that it was 6 degrees off!! So my incubation was 6 degrees low the entire time. Add that to the fact that my humidity was high and I probably drowned anything that had a chance. Swore we were not going to do it again and then three weeks later we armed ourselves with 3 checked and accurate thermometers, a lot of research on dry incubation or low humidity incubation and we set more eggs. (My sister raises chickens so we had an unlimited supply of eggs....lol) Second try had an awesome hatch with 17 hatchers and have been having great hatches since. One of the reasons why I like helping others is because I know how dissapointing waiting 21 days to see babies are and having dismal results, so if I can help someone else to not have to deal with that, I feel good.
Wow, that is awful! I'm so glad that you had other chances to keep at it though! And the fact that you're helping others is so great. Good for you!!

Bad news, good news... Bad news is that the front panel membrane on my RCOM shorted out, so I can't change any of the settings. Good news is that the replacement part showed up yesterday.

-Kathy

Bad news, good news... Bad news is that the front panel membrane on my RCOM shorted out, so I can't change any of the settings. Good news is that the replacement part showed up yesterday.

-Kathy
Glad you have the part!!
big_smile.png
Thats real lucky

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

The little chickies seem to be doing good. I filled both troughs 1 and 2 in the bottom of my Hova Bator on day 18, haven't touched it since. Though on one of the blue eggs, there's a light glossy layer of what seems to be water. I have not touched it. What could it be? Is the egg sweating?

Heres a picture of the lightly wet egg.

Also- The temperature reads about 102. I've heard that for a still air incubator, that's good and it keeps it even. Though I'm not entirely sure, because the chickies are peeping quite a bit. Could they be over heating? Am I just worrying to much?

Here's an update on the three that have pipped.

Thanks, everyone <3 I really hope I'm doing everything right.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

The little chickies seem to be doing good. I filled both troughs 1 and 2 in the bottom of my Hova Bator on day 18, haven't touched it since. Though on one of the blue eggs, there's a light glossy layer of what seems to be water. I have not touched it. What could it be? Is the egg sweating?

Heres a picture of the lightly wet egg.

Also- The temperature reads about 102. I've heard that for a still air incubator, that's good and it keeps it even. Though I'm not entirely sure, because the chickies are peeping quite a bit. Could they be over heating? Am I just worrying to much?

Here's an update on the three that have pipped.

Thanks, everyone <3 I really hope I'm doing everything right.
101-102 is standard for still air. You can drop a degree if you are more comfortable. There are many hatchers that drop a degree at hatch anyway. Peeping is good!

UPDATE: (& QUESTIONS:)

First little chickie's out! <3 I'll post pictures when she's fluffy.

When can I put her into the brooder? There are still about 15 that have yet to hatch. There are also 2 infertile eggs that I have marked that I used to hold up the thermometer on egg level. Should I take those two out?

Back
Top Bottom