Some color chickens are more likely to be attacked by hawks.

CHICKENX2005

Songster
Feb 2, 2024
So I've noticed that some color, pattern, size, and shape, chickens are more likely to be attacked by hawks both by observing my own flock and others. Here's what I've observed. ( Note I know breed and other factors also play a big role in how likely that a chicken is to be attacked. I have noticed these patterns across all different breeds including mixes ) I've also observed this among chickens that were the same in all other ways except color. ( This information may not apply to everyones fock but it did remain consistent in the focks that were studied ) and I will update this as We continue to observe these and other flocks and continue to gather information.

White : was the most likely to be attacked by a hawk.

Grey : the grey chickens that were studied had about the same chance of being attacked as the white however most of the attacks on the grey chickens happened when they were less the 10 months old and not very many after.

buff : most of the buff chickens that were included in this study were orpingtons. So I can't really include them in this yet becausei don't have enough information.

Red : if attacked by a hawk it appeared to be more of of dominance.

Black : very few of the black chickens in this group where attacked.

This will be edited later and more detailed information will be added.

If anyone would like to share what they have observed in their fock please post below!

Last edited:
My flock is in the process of more than doubling outside right now. There's 8 broody moms currently with 37 babies between them, and 3 more hens sitting on eggs right now

So far in this breeding season all of the chicks produced have been black or brown and they're all thriving very nicely despite semi-regular hawk attacks. Not a single chick has been lost- except for the one blue chick

The one and only chick a hawk managed to capture was blue. Lack of camoflage is the obvious culprit

Last year in total I lost 4 adult Egyptian Fayoumi, despite them behaving almost identically to my American Gamefowl. They're half white in color whereas my game hens are mostly brown. Again, the culprit is simple camoflage

I am now specifically breeding only for camoflaged colors patterns. Wild type, black, dark wheaten and so on. Never again will I bring a white, lavender, blue or any such color here. My animals deserve better than to be cursed with such colors

My flock is in the process of more than doubling outside right now. There's 8 broody moms currently with 37 babies between them, and 3 more hens sitting on eggs right now

So far in this breeding season all of the chicks produced have been black or brown and they're all thriving very nicely despite semi-regular hawk attacks. Not a single chick has been lost- except for the one blue chick

The one and only chick a hawk managed to capture was blue. Lack of camoflage is the obvious culprit

Last year in total I lost 4 adult Egyptian Fayoumi, despite them behaving almost identically to my American Gamefowl. They're half white in color whereas my game hens are mostly brown. Again, the culprit is simple camoflage

I am now specifically breeding only for camoflaged colors patterns. Wild type, black, dark wheaten and so on. Never again will I bring a white, lavender, blue or any such color here. My animals deserve better than to be cursed with such colors
We've been breeding for mostly black or brown chicks too. The black chicks are almost never attacked. I think out of all of them we've ever had we only lost one and I think that was from a fox possibly. The black chickens are also almost always the heathest for some reason. All of the black chickens we currently have in our fock came from 2 black hens that a friend gave us as chicks. They were unrelated to each other mixed breeds so we don't know what they were except one looks like it's mixed with a cochen.
The black chickens are some of my favorites because they are so healthy and never get attacked.

I don't think I've lost a solid white bird to a predator other than my orpington rooster being grabbed by a raccoon (and odds are more that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time than that his color was his demise because he'd made it through several attacks before that one)

Also they have never had a problem hatching. Meaning they never get stuck or die in the egg. We've never had a chick die in the egg that was black. Or mostly black. ( not including barred )

Hawks try to avoid black birds because they think they are crows or Ravens who will fight back. Also the reason why white chickens are usually attacked more is because white stands out more when flying from above ( unless the ground is the same color ) and also when it's dark white is easiest to see.

Last edited:
I don't think I've lost a solid white bird to a predator other than my orpington rooster being grabbed by a raccoon (and odds are more that he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time than that his color was his demise because he'd made it through several attacks before that one)
This is interesting. do you have many hawk attacks where you live? What breed are your white chickens?

This is interesting. do you have many hawk attacks where you live? What breed are your white chickens?
Mixes and pheonixes. Don't have many raptor attacks outside of when juveniles are trying to fend for themselves, but our area is covered in hawks and eagles. Lose more birds to magpies and ravens than raptors

Back
Top Bottom