Some might remember me talking about a hen going missing then turning up again out of nowhere?

DaveTaunton

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
Taunton, England
Well I let my girls out this morning. And despite best efforts to close off gaps etc. She got over again. BUT after doing my usual search to see where she's gone. I found her in a bush literally less than a meter away roosting. Egg production has virtually stopped since it got really cold. So this has to be where she's been disappearing to surely?

It's very dense so it makes sense I couldn't find her yesterday. Would it be worth just moving the chicken fence back a bit so she can get there freely? Thanks :)

Not sure what you mean, your description doesn't tell me anything about your setup so I can't give any advice about that.

I will say, though, that they may be laying elsewhere. I would consider her sick or injured if she's choosing to roost away from the flock. It's also possible that she's being bullied, or is vaguely trying to go broody or maintain her freedom so she can access more protein/greens or the illicit nest... Hard to say which one or ones it's more likely to be, but a healthy bird is less likely than a sick one to avoid the flock and separate herself, of course.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom