Some of my chicks have lumps coming from out of there neck?

CornerViewFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Ohio
Some of my chicks my broodys hatched out about a month ago have huge lumps coming out from there neck area what would this be from? I can post pics if needed.

0801082026a.jpg

0801082026.jpg

would that be a corp?

The crop is located on the side of the neck down just above the breast bone.

In the morning it is usually pretty flat. As the chicks eat all day long it gets bigger and bigger. Sometimes it will feel mushy, sometimes more hard, as the chick gets water and the feed starts to move throught the digestive system.

Perfectly normal - one of the most common newbie questions...'What's this lump on the side of my chick's neck'

Thank you ive never seen anything like that on a chick so thats one more thing i just learned ive got over 115 chickens and im still learning
smile.png

Yup, that's most definitely the crop. I have "house" birds too-- and one of the cockatoos is a plucker ( we just got her last year from an abusive home that dumped her off at a vet) and her crop is just amazing after a good meal!
Word of caution-- don't mush with it much-- you'll have regurgitating chickies!

I remember finding the same thing when they were about a month old. I realized it was their crop, I had just given them some lettuce, lots of bulk, so it really showed up on them. It was gone in the morning!

In the second picture it looks like the lump is on the top of the chick just above it's back. Is that where the lump is or am I mistaken? That is not a full crop if it is.

Back
Top Bottom