Some of My Small/Semi-Fast Quilt Projects *Pics* Trying New Skill Now-Tying

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I've never been one who really liked making bed quilts. I piece by machine, but do all quilting by hand and that takes awhile. I much prefer smaller projects like crib quilts, lap quilts or wallhangings. Of late, I've been making table runners, table toppers and discovered bed runners as well. First, here is the latest scrappy Autumn table runner I'm working on, made exclusively from Moda Charm Squares from the "Together" collection *except for the rust sashing and little gold corner squares*-thanks to my great pal, Terrie Lacy, for sending me several packs as gifts. It will finish out with binding at about 16"x 44".

Here is one I did for my friend, Tim, by request. It's smaller, approx. 14" x 36":

and a table topper made for my friend, Brandon, who has sent me several surprise gifts through the mail and who I wanted to surprise right back. It's designed with the colors of his kitchen in mind, told to me by one of my spies, LOL:

And a baby quilt commissioned by another friend for her neighbor's premature son, after she put in weeks of bed rest before his birth:

Bed runner I made as a gift:

I have so many projects that were sold years ago and only print photos of them, prior to the advent of digital cameras. Guess I need to scan.

Last edited:
I love the little square you made, maybe 5" X 5". Makes a perfect coaster. Because it's a little oversize, it's easy to hit. You don't have to do the careful aiming you do with most coasters.

I love quilts and quilting, but if I find something that takes a long time, I end up quitting and never finish. I've made some placemats, but I've only been sewing for about a year and I'm not very good at it. I completely hand sewed the placemats, but I have a sewing machine now and would like to make some table runners for Christmas presents.

Do you happen to know what the pattern is for that first table runner because I really love that one. The 2nd one you posted, I do have that pattern, but every time I look at it, the instructions don't make sense to me with the cutting. It seems like something is missing in the directions.

I will continue to hand quilt, so simple is best for me until I REALLY get used to sewing.

I love quilts and quilting, but if I find something that takes a long time, I end up quitting and never finish. I've made some placemats, but I've only been sewing for about a year and I'm not very good at it. I completely hand sewed the placemats, but I have a sewing machine now and would like to make some table runners for Christmas presents.

Do you happen to know what the pattern is for that first table runner because I really love that one. The 2nd one you posted, I do have that pattern, but every time I look at it, the instructions don't make sense to me with the cutting. It seems like something is missing in the directions.

I will continue to hand quilt, so simple is best for me until I REALLY get used to sewing.
I don't have any instructions for the first one, sorry. I copied it from looking at a picture of a similar one online. If you do an image search on Bing of table runners made from charm squares, you'll find lots of them and maybe the web pages they come from will have instructions.

The second one's directions do work, but you have to just take them literally and copy them to the letter. The only issue I had with them was that they leave raw edges dangerously close to the binding -you come very close to having to cut the points off the edges of the center square where the binding is sewn on.

I pieced by hand for over 25 years, until some very good pals gave me a computerized Brother sewing machine and I finally learned to piece with it. That truly saved my hobby, which I had all but given up due to carpal tunnel issues. Now, it saves my hands for the quilting part.

Beautiful work! I love quilts. I saw this post and it reminded me so much of my grandma when i was a kid. I know they are hard to make and truly a labor of love. Thanks for sharing Shawn

Oh, I must have skipped over the phrase charm squares, it can't be too hard to figure out on my own with a bunch of those right? I'll just have to pick some up, or cut my own and make up my own sizes for the sashing and little squares.

Finished the fall table topper and have it up for sale here on BYC.

And I'm working on a holiday table topper made with Moda charm squares "Jovial" Collection, with gold sashing and probably a red with gold stars border. It will be a big square.

Here are the fabrics used for that one:

Last edited:
Thank you! Finished that one and am on to the next project, though it's really just finishing an older small project I put aside a few months ago, a log cabin table topper in greens and reds. I had three blocks done and will do a 4th and put them together and quilt for a nice, easy one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom