Hi

This is an India Blue peacock with the common black and white barring on
his shoulders. The white flight feathers means that he carries the black
shouldered gene. Black shouldered peacocks look just about the same as
an India Blue, except the shoulder feathers would be all black instead of the
barring. The peacock in the picture would have to be at least 3 years or older
because he appears to have all of his eye feathers in the back. He will stay
those colors indefinitely

Yeah, the one at Alma park had the white flights, though the one at Dreamworld didn't, so when I thought maybe it was because of the dark pied genes and all, well I then thought maybe it's not the reason to the dark feathers on the shoulders.

And just like MinxFox I also thought maybe they had some split to BS in them but then again, I wasn't sure at all.
But if you say you don't have BS in Australia, Bemba, well, since you have Greens, maybe there's a very tiny bit of green in those peafowls then ?

That would be interesting if it could be a new mutation, though one would have to steal the peafowls from the Zoo to develop it if it's the case
lol.png

I thought of the Japanned peafowl too, but the dark feathers aren't as obvious as in the Japanned peacock so I was curious...
jumpy.gif

I didn't find any IB from the Peacock-Kingdom breeder ...Maybe Peacocks Australia have them but I'm not sure if they are reliable...>.>

I don't know about it being a new mutation as I see it on IB over here in the US also. What I see happening on birds similar to these is a male will look normal- the area is all barred until the bird is 6-7+ then they eventually get some of that greenish color.

I think we won't really find out exactly what it is for a while.. could be a bit of green blood and what I personally think maybe plausible- it being a by product of domestication. Domestication can bring on changes all by itself without any hybridization needed- the tame fox experiment being an excellent example.

These perching adult peacocks are spaldings, bred back to IB peafowls...see the white arrows...crown feathers are too long and yellow colour in front of ear coverts.
White skins behind ears, are sure sign of spalding peacocks.

Back
Top Bottom