Some run questions!

cmcgoun

Songster
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Raleigh, North Carolina
Well the coops just about finished, and the coop is predator proof no cracks are the doors have locks and so on, the floor is 1 inch plywood with concrete board on top so no predators can get in. Completely safe. So if they are locked away at night why does the run have to be so secure? I was just going to use chicken wire, but will they still be safe? Have you guys ever had a predator attack during the day?

Do you live somewhere that stray dogs can get to them? Because stray dogs are one predator that can tear chicken wire, and they are out in the day.

Last edited:
It really depends on your level of comfort. For me, I decided to make my coop extremely predator proof, as well as my fencing. I work days, and I wanted to feel comfortable leaving my chickens out in the run during the day.

A sidenote on your coop: it's great that it's predator proof, for sure - but, you mention it has "no cracks" - you DO need adequate ventilation, or they'll get sick from the fumes put off by their poo; also, in the winter, if can get condensation inside if there's not enough ventilation, which can lead to respiratory issues - so make sure you're good there, too!
smile.png

Yes it has adequate ventalation when I say no cracks I mean no holes big enough for anything to squeeze through. I made my own vents where I double stacked hardware cloth.

Every little while we hear of someone that forgot to lock their chickens in the coop over night and wake to dead chickens. That is so easy to do that it could happen to any of us.

If your run is predator proof and you forget some night to lock them up ... you have a much better chance of waking up to live chickens and eggs for breakfast!

Back
Top Bottom