Some sort of head infection. I need help!!

Bigmac22077

In the Brooder
May 9, 2020
I have this little hen, probably 6-8 months old who was struggling to get her eye open in the morning. I’d take a warm rag and rub her eyes until she was good to go, this was at the same time it was getting cold for the first time in her life so I thought it was crusty eyes due to that. Shortly after I quarantined her inside with enzymes and medicated food and decided maybe it was pinkeye so I bought some vetericyn and started to treat her eye. It didn’t seem to be getting better nor worse but in the past 2 days her other eye has swollen up shut and now I’m not sure if she’s drinking..

Both eyes are swollen, the original being worse and she’s had some sort of bruising around her ear, but the actual ear looks clear. What should I be trying to do here?the eye drops are obviously not enough.

Oh edit: my nearest vet that will treat birds is 2 hours 1 way..her poop has recently turned runny but was normal. This has been going on for a week or two now.

CF5F278E-80BD-4F17-8C70-4DCC76397A92.jpeg
8BF52ECC-8DA6-48D8-B6D4-F95DBB2E7018.jpeg
4D117631-79FD-4703-9089-631DEAE8276E.jpeg

Attachments

• F3B44625-A5CA-4BCF-A03A-09619B770899.jpeg
    F3B44625-A5CA-4BCF-A03A-09619B770899.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
What is your location? It can affect your ease in acquiring needed meds to treat your chicken.

This could be a respiratory infection or a localized eye infection. You probably need an antibiotic to treat her, either an oral one or an eye ointment.

Meanwhile, flush the eyes with saline, don't rub them with a cloth that might have bacteria on it. Then use an antibacterial eye ointment in each eye twice a day. If the symptoms worsen instead of getting better, she'll need an oral antibiotic.

What is your location? It can affect your ease in acquiring needed meds to treat your chicken.

This could be a respiratory infection or a localized eye infection. You probably need an antibiotic to treat her, either an oral one or an eye ointment.

Meanwhile, flush the eyes with saline, don't rub them with a cloth that might have bacteria on it. Then use an antibacterial eye ointment in each eye twice a day. If the symptoms worsen instead of getting better, she'll need an oral antibiotic.
I’m just east of Salt Lake City in Utah. Tractor supply is the only place I know of where I can buy stuff. Is there a good place to buy online? Thanks for the reply.

@azygous, Would Tylan 200 injection be useable? I was just at my TSC, and they had that on the shelf.

Also Duramycin 72-200 injection and oxytertacycline injection.

Just as a side note for me, or anyone else, would those be good to have on hand, or is the injectable form not useable?

Back
Top Bottom