somebody help me now before I kill ALL of my chickens

If your chickens have any outside time, they will get lice eventually, not your fault- but you do need to treat them consistently- to keep the lice in check. Think of them as fleas- they are always ready to take advantage of an unprotected animal. It is not uncommon for birds to get lice so bad they DIE from the anemia. Birds that are not allowed to dust bathe will be more affected and certain breeds. Roosters who spend less time taking care of themselves are often more affected. Also a bird who is sick from something else and is not taking care of herself will be overrun.
You need to dust the birds- you can do the shake and bake method- put powder in a bag and put the chicken in with the head sticking out- and shake. Or grab their feet and let them hang upside down- they will flap a few times then hang there limp- you can then, with the other hand- shake powder on their vent area and under the wings- this is where most of the lice are. Do this at night when they are roosting so you can catch all of them, or grab them one by one as you let them out in the morning. If you don't want to do this every month, at least inspect them all each month- and treat if you see lice again (and repeat in 2 weeks). If you didn't have much luck treating the birds- it doesn't count. If the powder doesn't touch the bug, it won't be killed. Putting powder in the nest boxes and dust baths will help control them, but if you have a bad problem- you need to powder the chickens themselves. Get a family member to help you.

Quote:

Holy moly batman. I did not know that chickens get LICE.
I thought they only get mites.
Gezz, now I am going to start scratching my scalp !!
So which is better to use. DE or Sevin ??
I guess I am going to have to really inspect the flock these next few days. I have never seen one mite or any indications that they may have them. Now I have to look for lice.

Mites are really small- common chicken mite is the scaly leg mite- google for photos. Those are too small to see with your eye. Lice are about flea sized- easy to see if you look in the right spot (vent area). They are greyish pink. Or look for grey egg masses around the base of the feather shafts (also around the vent)- they look like grey grapes (small). Really ugly looking once you realize you are looking at bug eggs.

Quote:

yea so now im going to tractor supply first thing tomorrow and getting a powder something. can you overdose them lol? I am so itchy now...thanks a lot guys
somad.gif
I always love to cuddle and love on and kiss my chickens
sickbyc.gif
ive never really checked them but also never noticed anything.........this is great!
th.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

If you use DE, use the food grade DE. I use Ivermectin on my birds to prevent lice... just a drop or two just above the tail on the skin... keeps them away, and the girls are happy. But Kinnip is right... I've never seen them "hop" off the chickens... might be something else?

Do you use a horse wormer Ivermectin?
And where do you get food grade DE?
Thanks​

yes i was wondering the same thing lol...but i know what i use on my horses would be much too strong. i know there was a different kind of ivermectrin that my vet used on these kittens i found to treat them for mice. they were drops in the ear, but still ivermectrin.

oh wow so horse chick was almost right lol.....whoda thunk it??
hu.gif
ya i was gonna say the horse stuff is a paste and thatd be sticky and messy on the feathers

roll.png
WHY Did I open this thread?! I'm ITCHING LIKE CRAZZZY NOW LOL

ewwwwwwwwwwww.... (making note to shake n bake my girls when hubby gets home with DE even though its in their bedding already)

I'm sorry you lost your girl...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom