Someone has worms!

HopeSprings

Songster
Feb 3, 2019
Weaverville, NC
Occasionally I see a poop with worms (one poop maybe every few weeks). I daily sift the sand on the poop boards under their roosts, so I'm well acquainted with my ladies' outputs!
I have 10 2.5-year old hens and 4 7-month old hens. Four of the older girls are going through heavy molts, and egg production is way down (I don't light the coop), but they are otherwise happy and healthy and eating well.
So I'm wondering if I need to deworm. The posts I'm reading all seem to recommend individual doses with a syringe, but catching each one is going to be traumatic for all of us. Is there an effective medication that can be added to their water? Would it be better to wait until molting is over? Should I worry at all if the worms are few and far between?
Thanks!

Occasionally I see a poop with worms (one poop maybe every few weeks). I daily sift the sand on the poop boards under their roosts, so I'm well acquainted with my ladies' outputs!
I have 10 2.5-year old hens and 4 7-month old hens. Four of the older girls are going through heavy molts, and egg production is way down (I don't light the coop), but they are otherwise happy and healthy and eating well.
So I'm wondering if I need to deworm. The posts I'm reading all seem to recommend individual doses with a syringe, but catching each one is going to be traumatic for all of us. Is there an effective medication that can be added to their water? Would it be better to wait until molting is over? Should I worry at all if the worms are few and far between?
Thanks!
Photos of the poop with worms would be helpful.

To treat most worms that chickens can have except for tapeworms, you can treat with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole). These can be found at most feed stores like TSC

Dose for Safeguard is .25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.
Dose for Valbazen is .08ml per pound of weight given orally once then repeat in 10 days.

For Tapeworms - use Praziquantel, products and doses are listed in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Dewormers are dosed by weight. Directly medicating each bird is the best method, this ensures they are getting the medication. An easy way to medicate most birds will be to get a hold of them while roosting. This minimizes trauma. Once you get a few birds medicated, you will find it much easier going. Dawg53 explains the process https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-i-am-in-coccidias-and-worm-hell.1495435/post-24959698

Back
Top Bottom