Someone is opening the gate on my chicken run/yard

BreeShu

Songster
5 Years
Jun 10, 2018
I live in the city (technically the city limit ends across the street from me) and I openly discussed with my neighbors before and during the process of setting up for chickens. All of my neighbors have been very welcoming of my chickens presence. So I'm not sure if the intent is malicious or out of curiosity but someone has been opening the gate to my fenced in run while I'm at work. While I'm not technically in city limits I know my ordnance still doesn't allow them to free roam unattended as well as there are occasionally loose dogs and aerial predators. My home is a rental so I can't make drastic changes that would allow me to bolt the gate down and lock it. I'm not sure what to do to keep my chickens safe.

Edit* Pictures and update!

My gate was open again when I came home. One of my hens locked inside the coop, this makes the second time I've come home to one being shut in who knows how long. My access to the nesting box was also unlocked. I noticed my egg yeilds had gone down but my girls have only been laying for a short while. Didn't consider that I might have a thief.

I've driven another post in close to the garage and switched out for a wire fence that has a door I can put a lock on. Its flimsy compared to the cattle panel but will make a lot of noise and crash if someone tries to force their way in.

Attachments

• 20210819_200817.jpg
    20210819_200817.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20210819_200613.jpg
    20210819_200613.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210819_200554.jpg
    20210819_200554.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I live in the city (technically the city limit ends across the street from me) and I openly discussed with my neighbors before and during the process of setting up for chickens. All of my neighbors have been very welcoming of my chickens presence. So I'm not sure if the intent is malicious or out of curiosity but someone has been opening the gate to my fenced in run while I'm at work. While I'm not technically in city limits I know my ordnance still doesn't allow them to free roam unattended as well as there are occasionally loose dogs and aerial predators. My home is a rental so I can't make drastic changes that would allow me to bolt the gate down and lock it. I'm not sure what to do to keep my chickens safe.
Post pictures. The only way to keep someone from opening the gate when you don't want it open is to secure it with a lock.
I would also add a security camera to monitor the gate and post a nice sign reading something like "Smile! You're on camera!!"

You can thread a bike lock through the fence and gate, or chain and master lock and secure it, without adding a hasp.

Post pictures. The only way to keep someone from opening the gate when you don't want it open is to secure it with a lock.
I would also add a security camera to monitor the gate and post a nice sign reading something like "Smile! You're on camera!!"
I just invested in two outdoor cameras. I'll make sure to aim one at the coop. Love the idea of the sign!

You can thread a bike lock through the fence and gate, or chain and master lock and secure it, without adding a hasp.
The fencing is made from cattle fence that I've staked into the ground surrounding my garage. The door is basically a hinged section I have that stops at the garage. Ill try to add pictures after work.

The fencing is made from cattle fence that I've staked into the ground surrounding my garage. The door is basically a hinged section I have that stops at the garage. Ill try to add pictures after work.

Chains with padlocks ought to work for that.

If you need to add a hasp -- or even just a couple screw eyes -- at the garage ask your landlord. I can't see a property owner being happy about someone regularly and casually trespassing, after all.

Back
Top Bottom