Someone please help. Desperate for silkies!! UK

mrsmartin24

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
I have brought so many silkie hatching eggs and none seem to hatch. I can hatch every other breed. I'm desperate for some and can't afford to spend all that money again!

Does any one in England know any for sale at not ridiculous price :(

I have brought so many silkie hatching eggs and none seem to hatch. I can hatch every other breed. I'm desperate for some and can't afford to spend all that money again!

Does any one in England know any for sale at not ridiculous price
sad.png

Good luck! Hope you find some and have better luck next round
hugs.gif

How are you incubating your Silkie eggs? I find mine do much better if I dry hatch them. I try to keep the humidity somewhere around 30-45% (45% isn't ideal, but sometimes I just can't get it any lower) during the first 18 days, and then bump it to 60% at lock down. If I don't, they make it all the way to the end, pip internally and never go any further. So sad :( Not too mention that having them shipped in is pretty rough on them.
If you were anywhere close to me, I'd give you some eggs or chicks, but we're pretty far apart. I hope you find some or at least have better luck with the whole hatching thing next time :hugs

Last edited:

Does any one in England know any for sale at not ridiculous price
sad.png
I hatch mine right along with the other breeds, nothing different, and I have a high hatch percentage---about every fertile one hatches.

Does any one in England know any for sale at not ridiculous price :(

Where abouts are you in UK?
I've hatched some( dry method)
If your near by me I could hatch for you
And you could collect chicks!

I'm in hampshire. I have never dry hatched. Maybe this is were I am going wrong! I can even hatch ducks! Silkies just don't want to :(

Omg I have just seen you are near bude! My grandparents live on widemouth bay! Shame it would probably be too far to travel with chicks. I'm in Hampshire

Definitely try to dry hatch. My experience may be proof that it's better for Silkie eggs. I decided to try an incubator for the first time recently and I put three Silkie eggs in it. I kept the humidity 25-40% till lockdown on day 17 & then increased it to 55-65%. All three chicks hatched and were robust.

Have you tried posting on the UK thread? If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum, you can locate UK thread and post on it. Maybe you will find someone near you with silkies.

Back
Top Bottom