Someone talk me out of bantams

Pics

scyllarus

Songster
Oct 12, 2023
Florida, USA
Hello! I am having a rather long day at work and have found myself seriously considering getting some D'anvers bantams. I am moving in a few months. I need to get the new place's backyard ready for chickens. The Husband wants giant tall dinosaur game chickens, which is going to be a really weird mix with bantams. And yet...they're so little and cute, and they're only about twice the size of our quail, and I desperately want birds that I can let run around the yard without worrying they'll disappear forever. I keep catching myself thinking "Well...we could afford a small coop/run, they're so little that they probably don't need much space..." Which I'm pretty sure isn't true anyway. AND I have quail already that I'm caring for!

Those who have bantams: Talk me out of this. I don't need tiny chickens - but I *want* tiny chickens.

Or tell me about how your little fluffballs are perfect and I'll probably end up with five. Either/or.

I love bantams, so adorable, tiny and lovable, Silkies personally are my favorite bantams. I don't think anyone could talk you out of it. They also get along perfectly with my non bantams.

Hello! I am having a rather long day at work and have found myself seriously considering getting some D'anvers bantams. I am moving in a few months. I need to get the new place's backyard ready for chickens. The Husband wants giant tall dinosaur game chickens, which is going to be a really weird mix with bantams. And yet...they're so little and cute, and they're only about twice the size of our quail, and I desperately want birds that I can let run around the yard without worrying they'll disappear forever. I keep catching myself thinking "Well...we could afford a small coop/run, they're so little that they probably don't need much space..." Which I'm pretty sure isn't true anyway. AND I have quail already that I'm caring for!

Those who have bantams: Talk me out of this. I don't need tiny chickens - but I *want* tiny chickens.

Or tell me about how your little fluffballs are perfect and I'll probably end up with five. Either/or.
bantams are my favorite chickens. They have such a personality and are more active than dual-purpose hens. given that, most are strong fliers and may want to roost in trees. My oegb bantams could fly already at their first week, and regularly fly every time I let them out of their coop.
Bantams are so high-energy that many breeds can barely tolerate being in a little coop for more than a week. They love to free range, which often leads to their own demise.

their demise is hawks. Bantams are pint-sized little treats for hawks. If you visit your yard often, it should be ok, but if you want chickens that you can trust against hawk attacks then get a larger breed. Those "tall dinosaur game chickens" are more hawk-proof since they are larger and also have good flying ability.

I like them. They're easier to handle, even if they're flighty/not human friendly. And if you get an aggressive male, while they can fly easier, they take less physical strength to get away.
Do they tend to be flightier? I know they're better able to fly, and I know some breeds are more skittish, but I just want to pet a bird dangit.

I love bantams, so adorable, tiny and lovable, Silkies personally are my favorite bantams. I don't think anyone could talk you out of it. They also get along perfectly with my non bantams.
Wah! I've considered silkies, but I just can't agree with the feathered feet. Or vaulted skulls. I know it's possible to find silkies without either, but idk I'm trying to avoid impulse-buying birds right now.

bantams are my favorite chickens. They have such a personality and are more active than dual-purpose hens. given that, most are strong fliers and may want to roost in trees. My oegb bantams could fly already at their first week, and regularly fly every time I let them out of their coop.
Bantams are so high-energy that many breeds can barely tolerate being in a little coop for more than a week. They love to free range, which often leads to their own demise.

their demise is hawks. Bantams are pint-sized little treats for hawks. If you visit your yard often, it should be ok, but if you want chickens that you can trust against hawk attacks then get a larger breed. Those "tall dinosaur game chickens" are more hawk-proof since they are larger and also have good flying ability.
Ah, there it is. There's the reason not to get bantams right this second (not that I think I can without some serious work - looks like most hatcheries don't have d'Anvers available). It doesn't solve my problem in the long term since we're thinking to put netting over the entire yard in our new place, but at least I'm rethinking the impulse.

To be honest, I had been considering larger breeds already for that exact reason, though I had been looking into standard Orpingtons and Wyandottes and such rather than the big game chickens. The Husband thinks they look cute, and he wants a chicken he can pet without bending down (which...the man is over 6ft, this is a literal tall order) so...

But now I'm thinking...if I make an aviary for the quail anyway, maybe....

I would not talk you out of it.
I love the bantam breeds.

Cons
Little eggs
Always going broody
Usually sold straight run (but the roosters are so cute!)

Pros
Cute little eggs with lots of yolk
Always broody/great mother hens
Friendlier as a general rule
The roosters!
The rooster get along well with each other, for the most part
The hen to rooster ratio is smaller
Less food consumption

Do they tend to be flightier? I know they're better able to fly, and I know some breeds are more skittish, but I just want to pet a bird dangit.

Wah! I've considered silkies, but I just can't agree with the feathered feet. Or vaulted skulls. I know it's possible to find silkies without either, but idk I'm trying to avoid impulse-buying birds right now.
Feathered feet aren't a problem in my opinion. My silkies has a vaulted skull and no problems in the 6 months I've had her. But are you asking this to figure out if bantams are worth it. If so they are.

I would not talk you out of it.
I love the bantam breeds.

Cons
Little eggs
Always going broody
Usually sold straight run (but the roosters are so cute!)

Pros
Cute little eggs with lots of yolk
Always broody/great mother hens
Friendlier as a general rule
The roosters!
The rooster get along well with each other, for the most part
The hen to rooster ratio is smaller
Less food consumption
The rooster are adorable and since they are so tiny, if they go aggressive they can't even hurt you and just learn to accept you.

Back
Top Bottom