Something’s not right

cinjoel

Songster
8 Years
Jul 26, 2015
Naples
Suddenly another 6month old pullet is not herself. She was walking funny, almost like she was drunk. She eats if we put the food in front of her and drinks when offered water but stays in the ‘something is wrong’ pose.
When I checked her vent it was dirty and someone recommended an Epsom salt bath. This picture is after the bath - her vent palpitates but what is the second bump underneath? Could that be an egg stuck?

She is now secluded from the flock for the rest of the day. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3205.png
    IMG_3205.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
How is Popcorn, the first pullet you posted about on 9/26? Is she any better or worse? That there is a second with the same symptoms may indicate either an avian virus or an environmental cause such as mold toxicity. Let's try to rule out the environmental causes first.

Inspect all of the feeders for moldy food. Inspect the run substrate for mold where moldy food may be accumulating. If the chickens are free ranging, inspect the grounds for moldy compost or puddles with algae contaminating the water. Mold toxicity produces symptoms of leg weakness and imbalance, as well as dirty butt feathers. It can also cause yeasty crops where the crop will not empty over night. This would be something to check in the morning before the chickens eat to rule out crop disorders.

Sadly Popcorn got worse even after vitamin B for a week and she died.
This one is Bunny. Feed is not moldy - it’s in a sealed container. My husband did spread new hemp bedding thinking that maybe with all the rain lately maybe there is some mold. We gave her a warm Epsom salt bath in case she is egg bound. Still keeping her alone during the day. Going to give her another bath tonight and some more B vitamin. at the risk of sounding stupid, in the picture her vent looks ok but what’s the bulge underneath? Is it supposed to look that way?

Sadly Popcorn got worse even after vitamin B for a week and she died.
This one is Bunny. Feed is not moldy - it’s in a sealed container. My husband did spread new hemp bedding thinking that maybe with all the rain lately maybe there is some mold. We gave her a warm Epsom salt bath in case she is egg bound. Still keeping her alone during the day. Going to give her another bath tonight and some more B vitamin. at the risk of sounding stupid, in the picture her vent looks ok but what’s the bulge underneath? Is it supposed to look that way?
Can you get a new clear picture?

A bulge beneath the vent can indicate a reproductive infection or it could be an optical illusion caused by the lack of feathers there. If you suspect she's sick from infection start her on an antibiotic, anything you have on hand.

Thank you for all your help. We’ve decided to cull this chicken. She is suffering - very skinny. It is sad because she is alert and wants to get up and move but this is how we found her this morning.
Really wish I knew what is going on…Will keep watching the other birds to see what is going on. I have 2 hens which are at least 5 years old - all I can think is that this latest batch of babies we incubated are weak stock …🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpeg
    IMG_2450.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
A necropsy, even a quick inspection yourself by cutting her open, can tell you what is behind this now that you've had two suffer similarly. I suspect an avian virus. The organs may have tumors on them or you could see tumors on joints. With one of these viruses, the liver will be grossly enlarged. You can contact your state ag vet office to find out about a necropsy.

If you decide to do a necropsy yourself, please post pictures. Maybe we can figure out what's going on. Obviously, a vet can do a more thorough job.

Back
Top Bottom