Something is wrong with 'Fluffy Face' Please help :((

katie197888

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Upperco, MD
Fluffy Face is our most favorite girl. I went out to check on them this evening and noticed she doesn't seem well. She usually is the first to greet us and she was way in the back tonight. She's just not herself. Her tail is tucked down, she seems to be panting, walking a little ..hmmm.. waddly maybe? She also has a trail of poo down her back side and seems to not have much luck trying to poo. I saw her attempt it twice with very little luck. I don't know anything about how to feel around down there to see if she's ok..maybe she could have an egg stuck in her? I tried looking around down there but besides the poo things looked ok. Please help!! I am so worried about her, she's our love. Here are some pics I took of her tonight.
Poo Trail Below

All by herself way in the back

Last edited:
It looks like it may be blackhead, usually it affect turkeys but it can goto chickens. I'm not sure how to treat it but you can probably find out how on the internet,good luck!

Oh no :( Prognosis isn't good unless I can get her to a vet asap. It will have to be tomorrow. She has never been around Turkeys or any sick bird, all our birds were born on our farm.

Does this just show up sometimes?

I did not check her crop. Should it be hard or no? I did as I have seen in other threads and removed her, gave her a warm bath and cleaned the poo off of her. I dont know what exactly to feel for but I tried to feel around down there and didnt feel anything egg-like. She did feel warm to the touch along her bottom area and blubbery type fattness. Is that normal?

I feel silly that I dont know what 'normal' is but I have never had to examine them before! They have always been perfectly healthy until today. I put her in a dog crate on my porch with a heat lamp, straw and some yogurt, feed and water. I forced her beak into the water a little but she wasnt too interested. She did take a few bites of bread (Her favorite) but still not nearly the bird she usually is. She seems a little out of it.

They have never been exopsed to illness that I know of, all of them were born at my house like I said. All others seemed perfect.

Back
Top Bottom