Something is wrong with my goose! Please help!

SniperGoose

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Central PA
Hi there!
I have 2 Toulouse geese that I bought last year. They're about a year old now. Recently, my female, Sniper, has had a limp. It started about 3-4 days ago. She was fine that morning when I put her out in the enclosure, but when I went to put her back in the coop for the night, she had a limp. I don't know what happened to her in that time. It seemed to be her left leg giving her trouble. I looked at her leg and her foot and I didn't see anything wrong. Her legs both looked normal, and there's no swelling.

The next day, she still had a limp, and was a little bit worse, but was pretty much her usual self otherwise. The day after that her limp seemed to be improving. I figured she would be fine, but then today when I went to put my geese out for the day, she was limping very badly. She can't walk very good, and just opted to lay down in the enclosure, rather than walking around, going in their pool, etc, as usual. She doesn't seem to have a huge appetite today. She did eat a little bit and drink, but not as much as she normally would. She's also not as vocal as usual. Her droppings are somewhat runny, but their droppings seem to vary, so I'm not sure if that is out of the ordinary here in this case or not.

I put her in a separate, smaller enclosure just a little while ago, so she could get some rest and not be bothered by my chickens or the gander. I'm not really sure what exactly is wrong with her. Perhaps the gander got a bit too frisky with her while her leg was still having issues, thus causing her limp to worsen?
I've also thought that maybe she could be egg bound? Though I can't know for sure. She started laying eggs about a month and a half ago. Sometimes she'll wander up into the chicken coop and lay them in there too. My chickens eat their own eggs sometimes, so I wouldn't put it past them to eat a goose egg if they seen it. So I have no way of knowing if she did lay an egg recently or not. I've never had an egg-bound bird before, so I don't know if this is the case here or not.

I'm really worried about my Sniper. She's just the sweetest little goose, and I hate to see her like this. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

A little over a year ago one of my female Toulouse began to act in the manner you describe. I was new to geese at that point and had just two females and one gander. I though for sure that she was dying. I got online here on BYC with Miss Lydia and together we hoped for the best. Turns out she had a nest full of eggs and was going broody. The next day she began to sit and a month later I had eleven geese instead of three.

I do not know if this is common behavior for geese or not but keep her comfortable, don't rush to any judgement. But, keep an eye on her. Has she built a nest (even one you don't know the location of). I would let the male stay with her as, if she is broody, his instinct will be to watch over her and protect her. Make sure she has plenty of clean water and food and let her decide when she want some.

I do have one female now that is acting that way and since I have been taking all the eggs when they are laid, she is pretty upset with me. But having more geese is just not in our picture right now.

Good luck and best wishes...

You can also offer calcium citrate in a small container of water heavy bottom so she can't tip it over, if egg bound calcium can help. 250 mg per half gal. Let her rest and if possible bring her inside and let her float in the tub in warm water that can sometimes help them pass an egg. Or could she have stepped into a hole or jumped off of something that caused an injury? I'd feel the leg for heat more so than the other one and go from top of leg to bottom of foot did you look under her foot for a cut of even bumble foot.

Thanks everyone for your input!
I checked her leg and foot again. Nothing out of the ordinary there, thankfully. I gave her some calcium, and later brought her inside for a nice warm bath. I let her float in the bathtub for a little over an hour. I think she really liked that; she even took a little nap in the tub lol. She seemed slightly more perky afterwards.

I just put her back in their coop for the night, and she started eating when I put their food in there. She was also more vocal! I think she's feeling a little better, but I'm gonna keep a close eye on her.

Keep us updated. Do you keep oyster shell out all the time during laying season? It's very important they get the extra available if they need it.

Yes, I've been keeping it out for them (and my chickens) daily. Yesterday I went out to go check on her and she looked so much better! She was as vocal as usual, and her limp wasn't nearly as bad as the day before. I also noticed that the hay in the back of their coop was all ruffled up. So I inspected it and found an egg buried under it! Maybe she was egg bound, and managed to pass it. But either way I'm glad she's feeling better now.

Today her limp was nearly non-existent, but I think her leg is still hurting her, since she's laying down a lot more than usual. But I guess that's alright because the more she rests, the faster her leg will heal up. Other than that, she's back to her usual self! :)

Back
Top Bottom