Something is Wrong!

tamiep

Songster
7 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Oswego, IL 60543, USA
One of my Black Australorps did not go to bed and I found her behind the door where she sometimes lays eggs.

Earlier I found a broken egg behind the door along with a whole egg and assumed that one of them stepped on one of them and maybe ate part of it.

Now tonight, she was sitting there on top of the broken egg with her face in the corner. When I lifted her, I found this:

and when I looked at her vent, it was dripping what looked like albumin with some yolk mixed.

She's got her tail down and acting very docile. Her vent looks like it's trying to push something out, but maybe that's how they always look. I don't know what happened nor what to do for her.

Last edited:
That is a shell less egg. They are really difficult for the hen to lay and it takes a lot out of them trying to push them out.....similar to being egg bound. If she is just a young pullet and has just started to lay, then it may be a one off and she should recover. Diet is a very important part of chicken management though and a lack of calcium can cause soft shells or shell less eggs. This can be caused by an inappropriate feed without providing a separate calcium source, or feeding too many treats, which means that they eat less layer feed and therefore ingest less calcium. Ensuring that they have access to a supplemental source of calcium (usually crushed oyster shell but crushed egg shells will help too) or even giving hens an instant boost with a quarter of a "Tums" tablet crushed onto a bit of soggy bread and water.
Hopefully this is just a one off glitch in her system and she will pick up soon, but a warm Epsom salt bath may help her to relax if she continues to strain and suffer contractions.

Good luck and I hope she is looking better soon

Regards

Barbara

My birds aren't sick. I was just tested by depth af ag to get npip certified. I feed layers pellets and supplement calcium. Same conditions as all the other breeds that are hatching fine

There are several hens. I feed layers pellets and calcium supplement. Eggs are not soft shell just dont hatch. Was just npip certified and all of my breeds are healthy and have access to fresh air and sunshine. Not many treats and are eating fine. This is the only breed not hatching. Very puzzling

@misschickchick

I'm not sure why you are posting on this thread. The original poster, tamiep's problem was about a sick chicken that appears to have laid a shell less egg, hence the responses regarding diet and calcium supplement.

If you are having problems with chicks failing to hatch then the "Incubating and Hatching Eggs" section would be the best place to post and seek help. I have found that setting pullets eggs as oppose to mature hens eggs is a cause for failure to hatch, but that's just my very limited experience.

Regards

Barbara

@misschickchick

I'm not sure why you are posting on this thread. The original poster, tamiep's problem was about a sick chicken that appears to have laid a shell less egg, hence the responses regarding diet and calcium supplement.

If you are having problems with chicks failing to hatch then the  "Incubating and Hatching Eggs" section would be the best place to post and seek help. I have found that setting pullets eggs as oppose to mature hens eggs is a cause for failure to hatch, but that's just my very limited experience. 

Regards

Barbara  

X2

Thank you, all! The hen seems fine this morning.

She is probably just turning a year old (from a hatchery/Rural King, so not really sure of the date she was hatched) and has been laying since late fall. I feed them layers crumble, but have not kept the oyster shells out full time, but giving it once per week, because they weren't touching it. I'll keep it out for them. Also, these girls come to the door demanding treats (they even knock on the door), so they probably get more than they should. Usually, we give fruit and veggies, but sometimes they get some 20 seed bread. But my dad sneaks them white bread, though I have told him not to. This morning I gave them a couple of scrambled eggs (no oil used) and crushed some cooked shell for them.

Something else happened, as well. Their sleep was interrupted several times the night before. I had lost my phone and people were calling it until probably 3am trying to help me find it and it was in by the chickens, so I'm sure they were woken up by the loud old fashioned loud ring and the light from the phone at least 20 times. I just read that interrupted sleep and stress can cause it, as well.

Yes, that could well be the cause of the problem. Because the development of the egg through the oviduct is quite rapid, a shock or stress within the previous 24 hours can just cause it to miss a stage. Hopefully she will be back to laying normally again soon.

Thank you. Yes, she seems fine, now. She was back pecking on the door and talking through my kitchen vent demanding treats, today. It was just kind of shocking to see.

Back
Top Bottom