Something off with this chick

Star2014

Songster
6 Years
Aug 15, 2014
We got some chicks from Meyer a few days ago. They’re 6 days old today. Our BLRW pullet is the same size as when she arrived with no wing feathers. When she came we gave her a couple drops of Nutri Drench and she perked up. She’s been the quietest out of all of them but today she’s just sleeping and very unsteady on her feet. We gave her more Nutri Drench and she was drinking water when i gave it to her with an eye dropper (she’d drink the drop if i touched it to her beak). What can we do to help her? We gave her a dab of yogurt mixed in with her food too but she didn’t really want it. I’m a little worried the brooder might not be hot enough for her. She does like to snuggle with the stuffed animal in the corner.
Forgive the dirty brooder, I took these pictures right before I cleaned it. They really mess it up in a day😂

Attachments

• 01A5C26A-36F9-4424-8192-77BF48100D33.jpeg
    01A5C26A-36F9-4424-8192-77BF48100D33.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 91FBCFC4-B5A3-43C5-8C8A-839757D0F434.jpeg
    91FBCFC4-B5A3-43C5-8C8A-839757D0F434.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
How warm is the brooder?
The others look like they are avoiding the heat.

Shipped chicks can sometimes need more attention, but if she's 6 days old and doesn't seem to be growing, she may be failure to thrive.

You are doing what I would do - give the poultry vitamins direct dose twice a day. I would see if she would eat some wet mushy chick starter.
Is she pooping at all?

How warm is the brooder?
The others look like they are avoiding the heat.

Shipped chicks can sometimes need more attention, but if she's 6 days old and doesn't seem to be growing, she may be failure to thrive.

You are doing what I would do - give the poultry vitamins direct dose twice a day. I would see if she would eat some wet mushy chick starter.
Is she pooping at all?

The brooder is between 85-90 degrees, the thermometer is in Celsius so I'm not 100% sure (it was 30/31C). Sometimes they sleep in the corner but at night they're always under the heat. We've brooded 1 (kind of 2) other batch of chicks in this set up this year. I'm not sure if she is pooping, she did have very mild pasty butt-her vent wasn't blocked at all.

The brooder is between 85-90 degrees, the thermometer is in Celsius so I'm not 100% sure (it was 30/31C). Sometimes they sleep in the corner but at night they're always under the heat. We've brooded 1 (kind of 2) other batch of chicks in this set up this year. I'm not sure if she is pooping, she did have very mild pasty butt-her vent wasn't blocked at all.
Do what you can for her. See if you can get her hydrated, then eating. I think I would check her crop and monitor that too, just in case she ate bedding. Sometimes they can do that and have some difficulties.

Such a sweet little thing :(

In our latest batch of chicks we had one that was really small and couldn't really walk and would barely drink. We didn't think she would survive the night... but she did, and the next. This little chickie is now around 15 weeks and healthy. I don't really know how to help you, but I wish you good luck.

Back
Top Bottom