Something wrong with my chicken?

Thermocandy

Hatching
Jun 26, 2015
I have had my 4 chickens about a month, everyone has started laying except Rosie who has the largest comb. Rosie is very skittish,almost uncatchable and doesn't get excited and run to get food with the other chickens. She does eat but is generally solitary. I have also noticed this week a change to her neck feathers. (Pics below) is Rosie sick? Is there something preventing her from laying?

The description makes me think rooster, does she have a Much larger comb than the other birds? Ugh, I dont know... It looks like a female, but acts similar to males... Well Points of Lay is usually about a year. She could be just late.

not to sound rude but how do people know when roosters are to crow? I have had many roosters and they crow at different ages non dependent on breed....
That is so very true - a rooster will usually start to crow as they reach sexually maturity, although they may choose not too if there is already a dominant rooster around.
However if the flock consists of 3 hens and 1 roo, and the hens are laying, that means that the rooster should be within about a month of maturity, and when he gets there he will crow to impress the girls and encourage them to mate with him.

By meerely looking at the picture, she looks like a pullet to me. Her comb isn't red yet so you may need to wait for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom