Somewhere, yet still nowhere

EdgeC

Songster
Aug 5, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We (wife and I) are new to chickens, we have in the past mostly worked with ducks.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

15, plus 5 ducks (live together, coop included as it has ground access (skirted) and a 7 foot tall roost (more than enough room)

(3) What breeds do you have?

White Polish Crested mix with Black Australorp (x2 Hens + x1 Cockerel) (x1 Black Australorp) (x1 Silkie Mixed with Black Australorp and polish: Has a Crest, Beard, Five Toes and white feathered feet all while the body is the green/black of the Australorp) (x3 Barred Rock) (x3 Silver Wyndotte) (x3 Black Sex-Linked) and (x6 Pekin Ducks)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

We have a fruit tree Orchard which gives them all full tree cover and access to their own private forest. They feed my trees and keep the bugs down, all while being full free ranged (outside of nighttime protections). So this gives me and the chickens/ducks a win/win. They are also (so far) very friendly as they have always been hand fed and held since birth.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Homestead, Garden, Tree Orchards, Biology, Chemistry and Computer Science

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Homestead is ran by myself and my wife, alongside our two young boys. We also have two flock guard dogs of opposite sizes. (Chiweenie and a Great Dane +German Shepard mix)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Same as I assume most, "Google". Just trying to absorb as much information as possible about our one of many new hobbies.

Sounds like good behavior to me, and in line with what I've observed here.
How old are they, in weeks or months?

Hello and Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here in this community.

Hi, and welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined us! :)

Hi! Welcome to BYC! :frow

Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your homestead and flock.

Welcome! Sounds like you have a beautiful setup! Feel free to share pics!

Thanks all for having us, I hope we can be as valuable of an asset as you guys have already been for us.

Back
Top Bottom