soo... how long???

orpingtonbabies

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
Hi! I have 8 little (but getting bigger every day) chicks right now that are about a week to a week and a half old. and I cannot believe how big some are getting!!! My EE's are huge (about 2x as big as when i got them), have full-blown wings and are starting to get tails!!! The rest are younger but still Anyway! My question was: I haven't started my coop!!!!How long do you think it will take to have it ready?

I know this is a very general question, but just ball park... how long do you think it would take most people to build a 8-12 chicken coop?

Also any suggestions on building would be great! I've looked at the coop section on the site and that was very helpful too, but i was just wondering what you think?

First of all,
welcome-byc.gif

Now to answer your question, it will vary according to your situation. If the planets align and you get all of your materials and have 2 knowledgeable carpenters/handydudes, your time could be as quickly as a day. Most of us here have to do small to moderate amounts of work as the material and/or helpers are available. My coop build is in its third weekend over the last 6 weeks. This was also the pace for my first coop last year. I did get a small coop for 3-4 birds up in a day but most of the frame and coop were already constructed. So, it depends... Hope yours goes well and fast!

Boy am I a bad one to reply!

We got our chicks toward the end of March last year (the babies)

I had already started my coop-working on it when I had time (we had a chicken ghetto already)

I suddenly got a massive work project that took up June to October.

The chickens moved in at the end of September when we tore down the old old old coop. I am still working on getting it painted and then have the run to build

So going with a year and a half....lol

We have a 7'X9' coop. When I bought my babies (August 1st) I told my husband he had 4 weeks to get the coop built or we'd have chickens flying around our house. Working evenings and weekends, it was done in about 4 weeks. Chicks flying out of their brooder in the house is a good incentive to get your coop built. (We might never have gotten it done if I didn't get the chicks and have a time limit;))

Back
Top Bottom