Soon To Be Chicken Parent

Emilyshultzy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
I just made my account after viewing BYC multiple times. I've been wanting chickens ever since December but I wanted to do more research to see if it was right for me. I want chickens for the eggs and experience. I'm still looking for a good place to get my chickens, 2 Rhode Island Red. I don't want to order my first chickens and have looked on Craigslist but I'm worried about diseases. I would really appreciate any tips for a newbie! And things I should know before getting them.

Thanks, Emily.

Alright Emily,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

images

When ever you purchase birds from an unknown source, disease is always possible. I like to start with health chicks first. That way you know you are starting off as best you can. If you keep a rooster in your flocks, you can hatch your own birds and keep things cleaner.

Many feed stores carry chicks in the spring time, coming from local hatcheries. You can hand pick the babies yourself and start them off good with loving care.

You can also check in with your states thread and chat with others in your area to find out where they got theri

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck with your adventures and enjoy BYC!

Hi and :welcome

Those are some good links.
We also buy all our chicks from the feed store, and here they're in stock all year round. (They used to sell laying hens too, but I don't see them these days. Maybe yours will.)

Best of luck, and have fun!

Hi Emily! I am new to the site as well. Glad you could join us. It's no joke. The learning center is FULL of great information. I spent hours on there yesterday evening. The folks on here are quite knowledgeable, and having their input makes things a lot easier. Although I am just starting out with raising them from chicks, I have experience with the adult version. Needless to say, I have found this site very helpful.
welcome-byc.gif

I plan on putting a fence up so they can be let out to run then put the coop back in the corner

Back
Top Bottom