Sooo quiet . . . .

Rolsjo

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Maine
We moved the chicks out of the kitchen today into their outdoor brooder in the barn. Now when I go into the kitchen, it's so quiet. I think I'll miss them peeping, "Good morning." tomorrow. We were going to start them out there, but we had a couple really cold nights at the beginning of the week and didn't want to take a chance with them.

My husband and I agreed to just do meat birds this year and see how it goes, but now that we've had chicks I can see how it could become addicting. If I can just stay away from the feed store for the next couple weeks I think I'll be okay.

I made a similar post when my 30 chicks moved out to the garage. It makes the house feel so lonely without the constant chorus of peeps!

As for only having meat birds, you have to have some layers, and then a roo to make the eggs fertile, then an incubator and at least two brooders running at all times. Plus some broody Silkies to raise chicks right in the coop. Oh and don't stop there, find your local chicken swaps/stocks and start selling chicks, oh and while you are selling at the swap you will find all kinds of wonderful things to bring home, like turkeys, quail, peafowl, guineas, heck why don't you get some rabbits too, and that kitten is really cute!
gig.gif

Getting chicks is like getting a free sample of crack, you just need one batch to get you hooked. The thing that makes chicks even more addictive than crack is that they are inexpensive and easy to care for.

My husband brought up the idea a little over a year ago that we should get some layers from the feed store so we would have fresh eggs (there was a coop here when we bought the house so we might as well fill it). We bought 8 "pullet" chicks of 4 different breeds. That's when I found feathersite.com and saw all the great breeds! Then I wanted a less common breed and settled on Wyandottes. Then in November I bought two bantam pullets thinking they would brood some chicks (Yeah, no such luck). One of the original 8 turned out to be an EE roo and I sold him in January in prep for my Wyandottes coming. This February we ordered 27 Wyandotte chicks in 5 different varieties, and the 1 free rare, from McMurray. They sent 30 chicks but 2 Wyandottes died, one in transit and one the day after they arrived. Then at a chicken swap I picked up a SLW 8 month old roo (oh and not to mention the pretty Royal Palm turkey tom). Then a few weeks later at another chicken swap I saw someone who had what looked like 2 partridge Wyandotte chicks. I didn't have partridge so I bought them. About a week later I noticed they had muffs coming in, legs turning greenish, they were actually EEs so I sold them. When the Wyandottes got older I kept 14 and sold the rest. My free rare is a SSH cockerel and he is leaving for his new home today. A friend had set some SLW eggs for me and 2 survived hatch so I brought those home. Then one of the chicks was doing poorly so I thought it would die. I told DH to pick up 2 chicks at the feed store so the survivor would have company. The feed store had a six chick minimum so he came home with 6 Speckled Sussex pullet chicks. By this time I had also set my very first hatch of Wyandotte crosses in my brand new bator. On May 8, 8 chicks hatched from 17 eggs set. One died a few days later, she was weak from the start. Tomorrow I am selling off most of the chicks, the 2 SLW, 6 SS, and 7 Wyandotte crosses. 2 of the SS and the SSH cockerel are all going together to Maine and I am getting a buff Silkie pullet in exchange.

Hi I'm Val and I am a chick-a-holic!!!!!!!
lau.gif

Lol! You guys are too funny!

I know what you mean though. When we went out to the barn to move the chicks I glanced over and saw the nesting boxes up against the wall. Hmmmmm, they look sort of lonely with nothing in them.

I do know that we would need to do some major fixing up of the barn to make it safe for laying hens. We have tons of predators around and there are lots of little nooks and cranny's where they could get. When the coop was set up is was just a partitioned off area in main part of barn. Not at all secure. So we'll see. I know it's probably not in the near future, but hopefully someday I'll see some pretty Buff Orps running around outside.

I had a friend tell me, chickens are just the best animals. They ask so little and give so much!

Back
Top Bottom