Sores from pecking

chef Vayda

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2017
Woke up to my Leghorn Sarah with a big sore on her behind.My RIR's and Partridges were attacking her. I took her out cleaned her up and put her in her own brooder. She is 3 weeks old but looks like she is 10. Very hefty. I read that you can use Vicks on the wound.I haven't tried it yet. I do have some stuff called Mellaluca it has tea tree oil and metallic oil in it. It is all natural. If so can I use that on the wound. Please help. ( the other chicks are 3 and 4 weeks)

Tea tree oil can be toxic to chickens. Since she is separated, you could just use plain neosporin on it. Could you get a picture of her and her sore? She almost sounds like she could be a meat bird since she is so huge. Does she look like this?

20-Days-Old.jpg

Her wound looks pretty sore, but it should heal in a few days with some care and some neosporin. There is something called Alushield or Aluspray in feed stores like TSC (horse or cattle aisle) that is a silver aluminum spray on wound dressing that will cover the red, so that she could be put back with the others. Those are $13-15. I would not use the melaleuka because of the tea tree oil. I can't tell if she could be a cornish cross meat bird or a leghorn, but if she is much bigger, I would be suspicious. Meat birds are old enough to butcher at 6-7 weeks, and many can die of heart attacks or broken legs after that age. Usually the meat birds look wide legged and have sparse feathering, so it's usually easy to tell later than this age. I'm not an expert on breeds. There have been several cases of people accidentally buying meat birds at feed stores this spring, thinking they were egg layers.

alushield-3.gif
6074-Aluspray.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. We were just at TSC yesterday. We just now introduced them to the great outdoors. I will try to take pics

Back
Top Bottom