SOS....walking zombie here....

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
Its 3:03am. Can I put a flippin' ceramic heater in there (living room) so the chicks will GO TO SLEEP??????? They are in my living room. So loud. Waking kids up. Wishing I had a red light right about now. I have a huge day tomorrow and I *might* get 4hrs of sleep. Our house is warm, they are 3 weeks old, will they be ok if I put a heater in there too? I can have my husband turn the brooder light back on when he gets home at 6am.

They are pecking at the floor, scratching in the bedding, trying to climb the walls and just generally chirping happily non stop. Normally they sleep at night but not the last three nights.
th.gif

They've started sleeping off and on all day and staying up all night.
sickbyc.gif

Do you have a heating pad? I never put a heating lamp on my chicks. I cannot tolerate the light at night. I put a heating pad on low, put a towel or tshirt on it and the chicks get onto it to stay warm at night and day too. I usuall get chicks when our house stays above 65. I also put a stuffed animal in with them and they snuggle up to it.
Hope you get some sleep.

A mama hen keeps them under her wings and body. It is often much colder out in the henhouse, when my hens go broody. Those chicks only get the heat from momma and each other.

You do want to make sure that they get to be really warm in some spot, like 80 or so.

Yes, I have one. I may resort to that. They never usually bother me but I'm just extremely tired (we've been packing for our trip all day) and I really need to sleep. Two out of three kids have already come out and said the chicks woke them up. I turned the light off for less than a minute and just stood there, they all peeped so loud like they were scared to death, so I had to plug it back in.
barnie.gif

They are three rooms away from the kids, that's how loud they are tonight! I imagine it only gets worse from here. They may have to go back in the laundry room tomorrow, even if their brooder takes up the entire floor,lol.

My chicks are three weeks old and sleeping in the bathroom all night without a light. As long as your house is warm they will be fine. They might cry a little when you first turn the light off but they will be fine!

I'm a bad chick mom, I turn the lights off by 3 weeks. My home stays pretty warm, tho.

I have noticed that (at least with my birds), if I coddle them like all the books, etc suggest, they just don't seem as hardy as the ones I am a little 'meaner' with.
I have some young fuzzy ducklings - no feathers yet, that have been outdoors 24/7 for a week now - they are doing great.
The 4 week old chicks that are outside 24-7 are doing well and growing vigorously with only a light at night (not much longer now, tho)lol

IDK, seems like mine do better without the extra pampering. I have lost more birds when pampering than by doing things with what feels to me, a more natural approach.

Turn off the light, relax, get some sleep and have a safe trip.

smile.png

I put a very warm tightly closed warm water bottle & a teddy bear in the pet carrier for my one bebe (2-1/2 weeks old or so, rescued from outdoors). Then I cover it with a towel to block the light out & turn off the lights. It takes a little while for it to settle but it seems to do the trick. It sleeps until morning thank goodness.

I know what you mean though, I went through that with the first chick we raised. Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom