Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

Pics
Once again BYC is a life saver. Had a hen show all the signs of sour crop including the horrible smell. Read about using the vaginal yeast treatment and since I only had the cream I mixed 1 ml with 1 ml of warm water and "forced" it into her orally with a syringe. After just 2 treatments she was so much better! I will continue to give her some for the next couple of days to be sure itis cleared up-if she will will let me catch her (a sure sign she is feeling bettr) Thanks to whoever started this thread.

I also want to thank BYC and this post for saving our favorite hen, Maxine! Being fairly new chicken owners - since March last year - we lost our first chicken, our favorite bantam rooster, to sour crop about a month ago. By the time we realized what was wrong, it was way too late, so I read up on the signs and symptoms and promised to be prepared the next time. About 10 days ago, we noticed our favorite hen was showing sign of being sick and after closer inspection, we realized it was also sour crop, but we caught it much much earlier than with Gypsy. We followed the directions in this post and saved our girl!! We also started putting ACV with mother in their water daily, so hopefully that will be a good preventative for the rest of our small flock! Thank you! This is the second time BYC has helped save Max, the first time she had a serious injury to her comb and it wouldn't stop bleeding - and you guys saved the day then too!!! Thanks! This place is AWESOME!!

Our favorite hen was recently exhibiting some signs of not feeling well. After some online searching, I narrowed it down to sour crop. Once I did that, I started searching for treatments. Desperate on a Sunday morning and after reading this post the night before, I ran out and bought some Monistat. I too did the Monistat 3 suppositories and gave my chicken 1/3 of suppository morning and night. After my hen not making a full recovery and still not eating after 3 days, I went ahead and took her to the vet. Turns out she most likely did have sour crop, but it was a secondary result of her getting into the 'Chick Start' was also have out for our chicks and gorging herself to the point where everything in her crop has formed a "mush" that she is not moving easily. Because of the "mush" and the vomiting she was doing prior to my starting treatment, the vet did irrigate her crop and prescribe and antibiotic (in case she's aspirated her vomit). He also told me to CONTINUE WITH THE MONISTAT! (And here I thought he was going to laugh at me.)

So basically, I joined BackyardChickens because they were there for me when I needed them! And also because I wanted to say Thank You! to robinwiththechickens for starting this thread and to provide the input from my vet in case there is someone out there considering this treatment but nervous without the nod from a professional before taking that the leap of faith.

I'm so glad to read the post about the monistat my hen doesn't care for yogurt or eating but I did get some probiotic in her today. It's important to know when giving yogurt do NOT use Greek yogurt it has far less bacteria than regular plain yogurt.

I'm trying this on a hen with sour crop today. I gave her 1/3 of the suppository tonight. I will repeat in the morning and next evening. I'm praying this works and I am very optimistic after reading this thread. My vet said he doesn't know much about chickens and had no advice for me for sour crop. Thank God for BackYardChickens where I can read about other people's experiences. I'm wondering if it would be better to give more than 1/3, but I'm scared to try because the 1/3 worked for everyone else. She won't eat or drink anything, but we forced the medicine down. This is my third hen I was about to lose and I'm tired of losing my chickens! My beloved Brahma was the first one to go and I had no idea it was sour crop. When we buried her, I noticed the very puffy, fluid filled chest and thought it was unusual, but had no idea what it was. Of course I feel awful because I could have done something. The second one died from plant matter plugging up her intestine (so I couldn't have done anything there, since it passed through the crop). But now this third one is definitely sour crop again. I just don't understand what causes sour crop. I would like to prevent it. Either way, I am hoping this monistat will save her life.

So far we've given 6 treatments of the monistat 1/3rds. The swelling is completely gone. However, she doesn't have much interest in eating or drinking (although I got her to eat some scratch grains just now). She is feeling awfully thin and emaciated. I'm not sure why she won't start eating more. She also still has diarrhea. But at least if she's having diarrhea, it's passing through a little bit, right? I was worried if she could be impacted internally. I'm still optimistic and she would have been dead by now had I not done the monistat. The swelling went done tremendously after the first treatment, now it's totally gone. If I can just get her to eat now...

So far we've given 6 treatments of the monistat 1/3rds. The swelling is completely gone. However, she doesn't have much interest in eating or drinking (although I got her to eat some scratch grains just now). She is feeling awfully thin and emaciated. I'm not sure why she won't start eating more. She also still has diarrhea. But at least if she's having diarrhea, it's passing through a little bit, right? I was worried if she could be impacted internally. I'm still optimistic and she would have been dead by now had I not done the monistat. The swelling went done tremendously after the first treatment, now it's totally gone. If I can just get her to eat now...
If you don't tube feed her she will probably die:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cken-and-give-subcutaneous-fluid#post_9910754

Has she been wormed? If so, with what, how much and when?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Try not to feed stuff like scratch grains right now. Try soft things, like scrambled eggs, applesauce mixed with yogurt, her feed wet down to a mash, or mixed with applesauce or yogurt. You get the idea here, I hope!

Back
Top Bottom