Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

Pics
Try to get her warmed up, but not too hot. You could also try giving her some sugar water or corn syrup and see if she perks up from that.

-Kathy

ok I put a towel in the dryer and wrapped her in that and gave her some warm sugar water. and I went to the drugstore and got some monistat cream and mixed a little of that in water and gave her that too. she's no better but maybe no worse. I want to at least try what I can.

How full is her crop and what does her poop look like? FWIW, when I have one that's sick I turn on the heat or make a fire and warm the room up to 80 degrees.

-Kathy

Her crop is pretty full now that I've been putting fluid in her all evening. No poop. She is still barely moving.

I have a hen who recently developed a squishy crop, and has stopped eating, but drinks a lot. She's losing weight. Is there anything this could be other than thrush?

At any rate, going to go pick up some Monistat tomorrow at Walmart, and start treatment. So, is it best to make her vomit a couple times a day, and feed her some medicine and a bit of food after her crop is empty? I know some people advise against vomiting them, but I don't think what she has in her crop right now is going to go through. What about massaging? How much is that supposed to be done? For how long and how many times a day?

I had a hen with thrush a few months ago, who died from it because none of the food was getting through her system. Luckily, this old hen was smart enough to not eat any grains or anything that would get lodged in there and feed the fungus.

When I gave the 1/3 suppository tablet, I had my husband hold the chicken and we both held her beak open while I tossed the table down the beak. Then when we released her, she swallowed. Right or wrong, I didn't care--you will try anything when they are dying. It worked. I have vomited them before, but I'm not so sure I would do it again though.

I had the same big squishy sour crop problem with my chicken. I was also loath to take her to the vet since last time I brought a chicken ,just the trip and the exam almost made her stroke out. I had some tube feeding stuff from when my ducks were sick, so I mixed a little baking soda in the water and tried to tube feed it into the crop. It wouldn't open up. I just kept tapping gently with the tip until I could get the tube in and syringed about 3 ccs into her crop. Nothing happened. The bird was pretty docile and feeling bad at this point so she didn't struggle about it. I perched her on the edge of the sink and tried another 3 ccs of warm water and baking soda. I tried reverse suction. Nothing. So I undid the syringe and suddenly the fluid came out. Yellowish foul smelling stuff. It all poured into the sink and I helped it along by gently squeezing the crop. It stopped coming out the tube. At this point the bird coughed up the tube. I had to reload it and put in more baking soda water, two more syringes. More foul yellowish liquid came out. This time I reversed the flow in the tube and small chunks of what looked like blackened corn kernels came out into the syringe. I did this two more times before the bird coughed up the tube again. She was getting a bit feisty now. The swollen crop had gone almost down to normal. I hoped I'd gotten all the stuff out. I added just two more syringes of baking soda water and she wouldn't sit still for anymore. I put her out in the pen with the others.
I wanted to keep her indoors but that was not an option at this point. For two days I watched to see if she was eating. I couldn't tell, but when I brought out a heel of bread for them she was the fastest bird in the pen! She is still alive and kicking. This almost tragedy happened in August 2013. I think my decision to get her back to her normal life as soon as possible helped in her recovery. I read where people gave the birds supplements, antibiotics etc., and still the bird died. I may be new at this, but the bird feels more comfortable with what she knows, the stress goes down and they recover more quickly.

Hello,

I found your thread re: monistat and as yourself we are rural and I have been able to find the same one you used. I lost 1 hen last week due to a hard impacted crop that we did not find early enough. Week 3 we massaged, gave olive oil and got her to vomit quite a lot of dark green to black putrid liquid. Got the crop to soften but next morning it had gone from hard baseball size to softened golf ball size and squishy. She remained in this state for 3 weeks and 4 days because we could not get nystatin or any antibiotic. Boy was I happy to find your site, but it was too late she died overnight. I now have a 7 month old Americana hen with a clear white liquid dripping from her beak on yesterday. We have separated her from the flock, checked her crop and all other areas on her body but found no lumps. The only symptoms she has are: moving slowly, dripping fluid from her beak and yesterday she stopped eating and drinking. She separated herself from the flock before we removed her, blew herself up, fluffed her feathers and hid her face in her feathers by turning her neck to to the left to do so.

She is still not eating or drinking today, still has that slimy clear liquid that really seems to irritate her as she wipes her beak on the floor or swipes with her foot to git it off. Every list of symptoms lists this as sour crop even though her crop is flat and not hard or squishy. Are we on the right track for sour crop? This is day 2 of not eating or drinking, she has a couple of runny poops with a white color to them and she stands in one corner with her tail down. No missing feathers from the rear but she has never been wormed and the run is sand. There are 20 hens sharing the run and coop which is 8' X 8', very well ventilated, cleaned every day to every other day. I went to town and purchased electrolytes and probiotic powders and have prepared a gallon to try and get her to drink this buy using an eye dropper. I also bought the monistat but would like to hear what you suggest before giving this. She will not eat yogurt so I bought buttermilk and will try to get her to drink that. Please let me know what you suggest.

Thanks,
Jujube2

Robin rocks. Just wanted to share this, since I know that Sour Crop is a really common problem. When our white silkie, Izzy-Belle first came down with sour crop, I brought her in the house. I first tried yogurt, olive oil, and massaging her crop, every couple hours. No luck.

Then, I tried kefir, which has a ton of probiotics and works for a ton of people. No luck.

Then I read your very unorthodox thread on Monistat (which is an antifungal) and it worked. I think it took approximately two full days for it to kick in for us. The crop shrunk but I was super worried that I could feel a mat of undigested grass in there. Mainly, she was still not eating or drinking on her own.

Last eve, I force fed her a mix of kefir, crumble, and Nutridrench. I've been force feeding daily, but last night I got a substantial amount of food in her empty crop. And I offered scrambled eggs daily.

This evening, I think we are out of the woods after a 5 day bout with sour crop. She's now eating and drinking on her own. But the Monistat suppositories were the key: I cut them into thirds and fed her one third every morning and evening.

This is a brilliant solution. Thank you so much!

Hello,

I found your thread re: monistat and as yourself we are rural and I have been able to find the same one you used. I lost 1 hen last week due to a hard impacted crop that we did not find early enough. Week 3 we massaged, gave olive oil and got her to vomit quite a lot of dark green to black putrid liquid. Got the crop to soften but next morning it had gone from hard baseball size to softened golf ball size and squishy. She remained in this state for 3 weeks and 4 days because we could not get nystatin or any antibiotic. Boy was I happy to find your site, but it was too late she died overnight. I now have a 7 month old Americana hen with a clear white liquid dripping from her beak on yesterday. We have separated her from the flock, checked her crop and all other areas on her body but found no lumps. The only symptoms she has are: moving slowly, dripping fluid from her beak and yesterday she stopped eating and drinking. She separated herself from the flock before we removed her, blew herself up, fluffed her feathers and hid her face in her feathers by turning her neck to to the left to do so.

She is still not eating or drinking today, still has that slimy clear liquid that really seems to irritate her as she wipes her beak on the floor or swipes with her foot to git it off. Every list of symptoms lists this as sour crop even though her crop is flat and not hard or squishy. Are we on the right track for sour crop? This is day 2 of not eating or drinking, she has a couple of runny poops with a white color to them and she stands in one corner with her tail down. No missing feathers from the rear but she has never been wormed and the run is sand. There are 20 hens sharing the run and coop which is 8' X 8', very well ventilated, cleaned every day to every other day. I went to town and purchased electrolytes and probiotic powders and have prepared a gallon to try and get her to drink this buy using an eye dropper. I also bought the monistat but would like to hear what you suggest before giving this. She will not eat yogurt so I bought buttermilk and will try to get her to drink that. Please let me know what you suggest.

Thanks,
Jujube2
Would probably be good to post these new symptoms in a new thread in the emergency and disease forum

Back
Top Bottom