Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

Pics
You are so welcome!
1f373.png
1f413.png
1f414.png
hen saddle? Wow, might have to look at that my roo sure is tearing my girls up!

I use the Hen Saddles and they are a life saver for my gals.

Sorry Betsy57. I am just seeing this. The whole sock goes over the head of the bird and the side opposite of the cut out heel snugs up against the crop/breast and the hole, where the heel has been cut is where you (very gently) pull out both wings. In other words, the hole goes on the top of the bird and is big enough so both wings pull out. The double band goes over the back, behind the wings and around the bottom of the crop. The top double band goes at the top of the crop.

My hen is a silkie so she's tiny, so one of my tennis socks is perfect. For a large hen, might have to go to the men's dept. socks. I read that support socks are particularly effective.

My athletic socks last about 4 weeks and then I sew another. I hit the thrift shoppe where sock pair are $.40.

Okay, thanx.

I see mostly everybody has used this on a full grown hen. How much should I give my 8 week old speckled Sussex rooster. He is a pound, maybe two. His crop is big and squishy. Has a good appetite, drinking (added ACV in with his water), giving him a mash of apple sauce/yogurt/egg yolk/chick feed. Any help is appreciated, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see mostly everybody has used this on a full grown hen. How much should I give my 8 week old speckled Sussex rooster. He is a pound, maybe two. His crop is big and squishy. Has a good appetite, drinking (added ACV in with his water), giving him a mash of apple sauce/yogurt/egg yolk/chick feed. Any help is appreciated, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 3 month old that I'm wondering about as well. I don't want to harm her by giving too much

I see mostly everybody has used this on a full grown hen. How much should I give my 8 week old speckled Sussex rooster. He is a pound, maybe two. His crop is big and squishy. Has a good appetite, drinking (added ACV in with his water), giving him a mash of apple sauce/yogurt/egg yolk/chick feed. Any help is appreciated, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would maybe divide it into 6 pcs instead of 3. So, basically halve the dosage. Or maybe even smaller pieces, like 8, if your little roo is tiny...?
That should be fine. When my gal didn't respond to one 1/3 "pill" piece, I actually gave her 1/2 of the "pill". She didn't have any trouble with that. She is roughly 5-6 lbs. (a full grown black copper Marans)
Good luck!

I have a 3 month old EE that I have just given the 3rd dose of monistat to. Her crop is no longer squishy but smaller and harder. Did I misdiagnose sour crop? Or is this healing? She's eating and drinking and is even playing with the kids.

Crop is smaller today but not emptying completely. I took her back off feed and she's doing eggs and yogurt (thou not eating well today). I'm really scared! Her comb is not red and she's very tired today. Vet told me to limit water and only water (this seems very wrong to me cause she's literally wasting away). Poop is water with very little solid in it. I really could use some encouragement/hope/help.

Crop is smaller today but not emptying completely. I took her back off feed and she's doing eggs and yogurt (thou not eating well today). I'm really scared! Her comb is not red and she's very tired today. Vet told me to limit water and only water (this seems very wrong to me cause she's literally wasting away). Poop is water with very little solid in it. I really could use some encouragement/hope/help.
My knowledge is very limited. I have a "crop bra" on my Orpington right now, until I figure out a better solution. I don't see how limiting water intake would be a good thing. Just can't see it. I have also read that you SHOULD NOT use apple cider vinegar with sour crop. It adds even more acidity and you don't want that. Try and PM (private message) "Casportpony" She is very knowledgeable and might be able to offer some additional help. There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people on BYC. She just came to mind first.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom