Sour Crop CURED with Monistat

So her sour crop is back. I have been giving her the cream twice a day now and her crop hasnt really gone down. I noticed that I can actually hear the sloshing around in her crop. I vomited her before I gave her her morning dose today. Mostly food came up so I guess that is better than the foul liquid that came out the other day. She is running around eating drinking foraging. I think I will give her the cream until it runs out this time and if that doesnt work, then I will try the supository.

I am thinking of trying this having trouble with sour crop on a chick. My chick is 6 weeks, how old was the chicken you treated. Thinking I may have to decrese the dosage for a wee one and she is half the size of my other chicks. Thanks for sharing!

HI,
I just noticed that my Brahma has what appears to be this. I bought apple cider vinegar last night and put it in everyone's water. I haven't isolated her yet, but think I should. She's not acting weird, but I think she will from what I've read. Can I just put the yogurt in a bowl or do I need to use a syrings? Will she just eat it out of the bowl if that's her only food?
She's my favorite hen and we don't have any chicken vets around us.
Help. :(

Do you mean you used the monistat suppositories or cream? I haven't started anything but cider vinegar in the water yet.

@ Waysidedesign - Personally, I used the suppositories, cut in thirds, but others here have used the cream and had success. The only reason I used the suppositories instead of the cream was they had fewer ingredients and seemed safer to me. No sense giving a sick hen a bunch of extra chemical junk she doesn't need mixed in with her medicine, right? That was my reasoning, but like I said others have used the cream and seen success.

As far as the yogurt goes, in my opinion if she will eat on her own that is best. All of my girls love yogurt and will eat it out of a bowl or even eat a blob of it right off the floor if it happens to spill. In my experience with my own sick hen, she was already so sick that she would not eat on her own, so I had to feed her with a syringe.

If your girl is still eating on her own and acting fairly normal, I would wait and see if the ACV and yogurt helps before I tried medication. I believe that medicine should only be given after all natural options have been exhausted. If your hen doesn't perk up in a day or two try giving her one third of a suppository twice a day until the suppositories are all gone.

This is only MY opinion, you should do what you feel is best for your situation.

Good Luck!

Thank you! She is acting normal, but I'm really going to watch her today after I get out of work. I think I will try the acv and yogurt first (does it matter what kind of plain yogurt it is?) Would you isolate her if she's acting normal? I guess she just shouldn't eat the pellets, right?
I have two pullets in a separate cage in the coop til they join the big girls, so it would be hard to separate her. Is the reasoning behind that just about making sure she doesn't eat the pellets?
How long did your hen have sour crop before it got real bad and you intervened? Did she almost die? My girl, Macy, has prob had it for 2 weeks and it's the size of a melon. She's a BIG brahma though.

Waysidedesign - Someone suggested to me, earlier in this thread, that the yogurt with the extra live cultures (Activia, etc.) in them were best, but I have not tried them for myself. I was using plain Greek-style yogurt because that's what I always buy for a treat for the girls, so I already had it on hand.

The only reason I can think to isolate your sick hen would be to keep her safe from the other girls picking on her while she's not feeling well. I wouldn't think the crumbles themselves should be much of a problem unless she is over-eating and that is causing the problem.

I have been battling sour crop for 2 weeks with my 6 month old brahma hen. I did and progression of water with ACV to Yogurt to feed mashed with yogurt. It keeps coming back. I treated with monistat as described in this thread. her crop now is not as full, but does not clear over night and now present more like impacted crop (that is the crop is hard as opposed to big and squishy).

Also, this hen has laid somewhat well through all of this how long should I discard her eggs after the monists treatment in complete? If at all?

I want an opinion on that question also! I'm going to start the monastat treatment on my hen just as soon as I can get to Wal-mart, should we not eat the eggs for awhile? Thanks, Suzie

Back
Top Bottom