Sour crop. Help?

Mariakoltsa

Songster
Feb 5, 2019
Australia, QLD
C72131F9-425A-4E7E-A0FB-AEF1E26440B2.gif
chicken has got sour crop. I walked in the chook pen and she was laying down hours before usual bed time, then i picked her up and smelt her breath.. the worst smell i have ever smelt, then i felt her crop was massive, so full of liquid. After reading a bit i decided ill make her vomit, couldnt even start,
As soon as i put her head towards the ground she already started spewing massive amounts, didnt even need to massage the crop. And after that she just stood there for a long time and then walked around very slowly not doing anything. And then they all went to bed.
This morning i checked her and the crop was just as full of liquid as yesterday. We called the vet and they said that the poulty vet took a week off :S. And one suggested to give water with certain amount of apple vider vinegar and electrolytes. I did that and also bought poultry probiotics. Came home and thought that she cant possibly drink with a crop so full. Every time she put her head down the stuff came up. I decided i will try vomit her. This time it took a bit longer and then she vomited. Gave her a breather, crop is now half empty. But she started breathing with that bubbling noise and when that stopped the just laid down on spot and looks like she breathing real heavy as if shes got a “blocked nose”. And now she just lays down half closing her eyes wings down. Im so afraid. Afraid she aspirated that crap and ... i dont know what to do..

Please people who have dealt with this before respond. Ive heard so many guesses and it just stressed me out even more :(

I have never dealt with sour crop but here is what I know
Try not to make her vomit it out because it may cause her to aspirate the liquid
You should get miconazole it is found on the lady’s hygiene part of a pharmacy
Give her it orally half a inch twice a day for seven days don’t do less then seven or the yeast may come back
Following the treatment give her fresh water and boiled egg
Probiotics will help
Wishing her well
She looks like a sweet hen

Here's short article I wrote that will help, I hope. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Her raspy breathing indicates she did aspirate some of the sour liquid, but hopefully it didn't get into her lungs to cause pneumonia. Please do not try to vomit her again. It's just too risky and the crop fills back up anyway.

You also don't massage a sour crop. It can cause vomiting and some chickens have instantly died from aspirating the liquid and choking on it.

You will need to find an anti-yeast medicine. If you have a pharmacy nearby that sells women's hygiene products, look for a vaginal yeast cream. You can give it orally to your hen twice a day for seven full days.

If you cannot find that, try an athlete's foot preparation. It's also a yeast killer. If you can find acidified copper sulfate, you can use that in water to kill the yeast. If you do get the copper sulfate, come back here and I or someone else will give you dosing instructions.

There is a chance this chicken can't be cured if she has a serious underlying disease such as cancer. That can cause sour crop, but it also makes it impossible to cure.

I have never dealt with sour crop but here is what I know
Try not to make her vomit it out because it may cause her to aspirate the liquid
You should get miconazole it is found on the lady’s hygiene part of a pharmacy
Give her it orally half a inch twice a day for seven days don’t do less then seven or the yeast may come back
Following the treatment give her fresh water and boiled egg
Probiotics will help
Wishing her well
She looks like a sweet hen
Thank you so much!!!!!

Great advice so far. Want to concur with the following:
• Don’t vomit
• Don’t massage
• Use antifungal. I had good success with clotrimazole vaginal cream. Dosed it via syringe under tongue (a little at a time). Whatever Med you choose, be sure to complete the course so it does not return.

Also, Foods yeast does not like... kale, egg, meat, yogurt, lemon juice, cayenne, cinnamon.

Here's short article I wrote that will help, I hope. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Her raspy breathing indicates she did aspirate some of the sour liquid, but hopefully it didn't get into her lungs to cause pneumonia. Please do not try to vomit her again. It's just too risky and the crop fills back up anyway.

You also don't massage a sour crop. It can cause vomiting and some chickens have instantly died from aspirating the liquid and choking on it.

You will need to find an anti-yeast medicine. If you have a pharmacy nearby that sells women's hygiene products, look for a vaginal yeast cream. You can give it orally to your hen twice a day for seven full days.

If you cannot find that, try an athlete's foot preparation. It's also a yeast killer. If you can find acidified copper sulfate, you can use that in water to kill the yeast. If you do get the copper sulfate, come back here and I or someone else will give you dosing instructions.

There is a chance this chicken can't be cured if she has a serious underlying disease such as cancer. That can cause sour crop, but it also makes it impossible to cure.

Thank you thank you very much! There is a cream that is only used For external use only .,, got that at home .. so thats definitely a no no... ? Got to get the other one ..
How would you suggest i give it to her so she would actually eat it. Do i mix it with some food or.. try and force it down ?
Appreciate yor anwser!

What is the active ingredient in the anti-yeast cream you have on hand? If it's miconazole, you can give that orally. I squeeze a half inch of cream onto my finger and wipe it into the side of the beak. Some hens will gladly nibble it off my finger.

If the cream you have isn't micanazole, tell us what it is and we'll see if it's okay to use.

What is the active ingredient in the anti-yeast cream you have on hand? If it's miconazole, you can give that orally. I squeeze a half inch of cream onto my finger and wipe it into the side of the beak. Some hens will gladly nibble it off my finger.

If the cream you have isn't micanazole, tell us what it is and we'll see if it's okay to use.

Thank you so much! It says Clotrimazole 10mg (+benzyl alcohol as preservative)
I can go to the chemist today and get something else. But ive been wondering what to i say as they are not on the shelf, you actually have to go ask for one and then they ask what the issue is and give u one accordingly -.- .
I would need to know what to say to them :D

I just realised i didnt post the anwser. Im back at home i bought the one u said, i lied and said its for mum so they wont ask me what for. Said shes been using it before lol. So they just gave it.
Did exactly as u said. But how many times a day? Human dose is 4x a day.

When i came home she hadn had anything to drink, but where ive got her was all full of bright yellow diarrhea...

It was a pain trying to feed her that gel because she shook her head a lot and it shot a lot of the gel off ger beak. But i did my best and got a fair amount in her.
Gel i got is named Daktarin. Miconazole 20mg

Im getting more worried she is looking worse and worse and she hasnt had anything to drink since yesterday afternoon. I marked the water level in the container and it didnt change all day and this afternoon... its 7:30 pm now and we decided ill try give her some water.,, put her beak in the water about 7 times, she probably only had a mini sip 4 times..she is so hard to give meds and water to she just doesnt open her beak. Just sits there and closes her eyes and dont move. And if she does finally open and lick a bit she shakes her head and finally tries to walk away. When she walks away, she finds a spot and just stands there still, closed her eyes and puts her head in a corner ..And she seems like she is feeling very very bad because she just lays eyes closed...and she had bright yellow water diarhhea all day today and because she didnt drink she completely ran out of liquid, now i see her trying to poo and nothing comes out anymore.
It takes me about 30-50 minutes to give her one dose of the antifungal.,. Rub it on her beak and she just sits still. Finally she licks a bit cuz she seems irritated then she shakes her head and starts trying to wipe her beak clean.:: n thats how i do it..

Back
Top Bottom