Sour Crop? Hen doesn't fit all the symptoms, but very sick! HELP

wcheek

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
1) What type of bird , age and weight. Light Brahma, 1 year old, only a couple pounds (lost lots of weight over past 3 weeks)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Moving slowly or resting a lot. Some stumbling - weak. Alternating between eating/picking/not eating
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? approximately 3 weeks
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. In hen house, food crumbles and free grazing daily. Inside, yogurt, applesauce, bread with oil (english muffin), water with ACV, grapes.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Had been very little - what I saw fit in with sour crop. After the oil and bread 2 days ago, she started having normal formed poops, but still very green.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Oil soaked bread, water with ACV, yogurt.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? no vet around.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Chicken coop in dry sunny area. Woodchip nesting material. Rest of the hens are doing great.

I kept her in over night last night. I had thought she was rallying after the bread and more normal poops. She had been eating pretty well. Last night she was lethargic again, so I brought her in. She's weak and not eating. This morning, she still had stuff in her crop - felt squishy. I massaged it quite a bit, forcefed her some watered down yogurt, and massaged again. I can hear gurgling, but no burping, and no sour smell. I tried massaging and holding her upside down, and just a little of the yogurt I had fed her came up - nothing else, and the yogurt only came a couple drops at a time.

What can I try to feed her? She just doesn't seem to want anything. She LOVES english muffins, and won't even turn her head for that this morning. I had read earlier today not to give her too much bread? I forcefed some yogurt. How much should I give her? I can't feel anything in her crop, just kinda squishy like one of those kid toys they squish in their hands.

She doesn't seem to be impacted since she is pooping. She doesn't have any of the bad smell like sour crop. I'm lost!

Thank you for any help you can give - she's one of my favorites! Oh, she hasn't been laying much since the girls got worms last summer. I actually don't think she's layed in many months, but seemed very healthy outside of that. She's still keeping her feathers in good condition, and her color has been good. She is keeping her eyes half mast a lot - I guess just because she's weak?

Wendy

I'm going through the same thing with one of my older hens. Her crop looks like a balloon.
sad.png
She's just standing around.........I just gently massaged her crop and some air must have come up because she burped a little. My hen is also refusing food. I think I'll just keep massaging her crop and maybe squirt some olive oil down her throat. I get nervous doing that because I'm so afraid she'll aspirate. My hen is also pooping, but very small liquid like poops. Sigh. Poor birds. Time to do a search on sour crop/impacted crop.

I hope your hen recovers!

Her crop isn't actually ballooned up - there doesn't seem to be air in it, just squishy... she still won't eat this morning. The olive oil did really seem to help get things going the other day, but today, no eating. Hopefully the oil will help yours! It's so hard to watch them and not know what to do!!

Ive hadf the same [roblem with my RIRED. She looked like she was coming around, but still couldn't jump up, but this morning she is lethargic again . She still tries.to eat. Her eyes are at half mast again and she is hunched up. again.. I cant feel anything in her crop but her poo has the wierd smell back and is smaller and not formed normal. I thought it was running its course but now its back again. Her feathers are a bit dull. Ill feed her some yogurt. Havent tried that yet.

Back
Top Bottom