Oct 19, 2021
Sour Crop in Chickens

What is Sour Crop?

Sour Crop is a yeast infection in the crop. Sour Crop is caused by a disruption of the normal bacteria that inhabit the crop with an overgrowth of Candida Albicans (a fungal species). The issue is caused when the crop does not fully empty. This may cause the contents to become fermented, resulting in a bacterial / yeast infection within the crop. These chickens have often stopped eating and are dull with bad, yeasty smelling breath, and they will also have large fluid filled crops. Treatment is also difficult as there is no specific treatment for sour crop.

I have found this information scouring the internet for hours. Please only resort to draining a crop if it’s your only resort! I am not a vet, but I am a concerned chicken momma who would do anything for her babies! Start small and don't try and change the chicken's diet up all at once! NO ANTIBIOTICS! This will only make the infection worse by killing off good bacteria!

Signs:

Puffed up chicken with head tucked close to body, bobbing head, water balloon/liquid filled crop, sticky yeasty smelling poop or breath, lack of egg production, self-isolation

Options:
-Avipro Plus: probiotic
Avipro Avian is a soluble probiotic, plus soluble fiber prebiotic enhanced with vitamins A, C and E for birds including wild, cage and aviary. Its high palatability means that it can be added to drinking water, making it suitable to use for all bird species.
-Nystatin: oral antifungal- Prescription required*
Nystatin is an antifungal medication. It is used to treat certain fungus and yeast infections. It is considered the drug of choice for treatment of Candida infections. However, nystatin is not systemically absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, and must come into direct contact with the organism to be effective.
-Prozyme: digestive enzymes
ProZyme is an all-natural combination of plant-derived digestive enzymes in a palatable powder. It's a convenient and affordable solution for helping your chicken thoroughly and efficiently digest their food and support their nutritional requirements for normal health.
-Vet Rx: respiratory illness
VetRx Poultry Remedy chicken medicine provides effective relief and prevention of colds, roup, scaly legs and eye worm. For use as an aid in the treatment of respiratory problems in all varieties of poultry
-Garlic water: antifungal properties
It possesses antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral, antioxidant, anticholesteremic, anti-cancerous, and vasodilator characteristics [6]. Ginger and garlic supplements in broiler chicken diets have been recognized for their strong stimulating effect on the immune and digestive systems in birds
-Apple Cider Vinegar- antifungal properties
apple cider vinegar is not only boosting your flock's immune system, but it also helps flush out nasty toxins and bacteria that can build up
-Oregano: Easy to digest and builds immune system
Oregano for chickens is known to strengthen the immune system and is thought to help guard against common poultry illnesses such as salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian flu and E. coli.
-Morning bird cocci: cures coccidiosis
Care is a formulation for the prevention of coccidian protozoa intestinal infections
-Slurry: food and water mixture
Easier to digest and is both a source of food an water at the same time
-Plain Greek yogurt: probiotics
Yogurt is a healthy treat for chickens, and as a bonus, it helps even out the bacteria in their guts, making it easier to digest food. Feed them plain yogurt, they don't need the added sugar in other types
-Harker’s Coxitabs: cures coccidiosis
Oral treatment for the treatment and control of coccidiosis.
-Miconazole: oral antifungal Prescription required*
Miconazole is an antifungal medication used to treat ringworm and sour crop in birds
-Monistat: kills yeast
The box contained 3 suppositories and a tube of external cream. I cut the suppositories in thirds and fed the hen one third each morning, and one third each evening until all 9 pieces were gone. I continued syringe feeding yogurt, boiled egg yolk, and gruel made from finely ground chicken feed and water.

I have found this information scouring the internet for hours. Please only resort to draining a crop if it’s your only resort! I am not a vet, but I am a concerned chicken momma who would do anything for her babies! Start small and don't try and change the chicken's diet up all at once! NO ANTIBIOTICS! This will only make the infection worse by killing off good bacteria!

Sour Crop | Digestive Problems | The Chicken Vet. (n.d.). The Chicken Vet. Retrieved October 19, 2021, from https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/sour-c... is a yeast,a fungal species) often occurring.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat.630307/

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 99
Welcome To BYC

Thank you for the information.
Were you meaning to post this as a thread or as an educational article for others, do you need help or are you posting info in general?

Sour Crop in Chickens

What is Sour Crop?

Sour Crop is a yeast infection in the crop. Sour Crop is caused by a disruption of the normal bacteria that inhabit the crop with an overgrowth of Candida Albicans (a fungal species). The issue is caused when the crop does not fully empty. This may cause the contents to become fermented, resulting in a bacterial / yeast infection within the crop. These chickens have often stopped eating and are dull with bad, yeasty smelling breath, and they will also have large fluid filled crops. Treatment is also difficult as there is no specific treatment for sour crop.

Signs:

Puffed up chicken with head tucked close to body, bobbing head, water balloon/liquid filled crop, sticky yeasty smelling poop or breath, lack of egg production, self-isolation

Options:
-Avipro Plus: probiotic
Avipro Avian is a soluble probiotic, plus soluble fiber prebiotic enhanced with vitamins A, C and E for birds including wild, cage and aviary. Its high palatability means that it can be added to drinking water, making it suitable to use for all bird species.
-Nystatin: oral antifungal- Prescription required*
Nystatin is an antifungal medication. It is used to treat certain fungus and yeast infections. It is considered the drug of choice for treatment of Candida infections. However, nystatin is not systemically absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, and must come into direct contact with the organism to be effective.
-Prozyme: digestive enzymes
ProZyme is an all-natural combination of plant-derived digestive enzymes in a palatable powder. It's a convenient and affordable solution for helping your chicken thoroughly and efficiently digest their food and support their nutritional requirements for normal health.
-Vet Rx: respiratory illness
VetRx Poultry Remedy chicken medicine provides effective relief and prevention of colds, roup, scaly legs and eye worm. For use as an aid in the treatment of respiratory problems in all varieties of poultry
-Garlic water: antifungal properties
It possesses antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral, antioxidant, anticholesteremic, anti-cancerous, and vasodilator characteristics [6]. Ginger and garlic supplements in broiler chicken diets have been recognized for their strong stimulating effect on the immune and digestive systems in birds
-Apple Cider Vinegar- antifungal properties
apple cider vinegar is not only boosting your flock's immune system, but it also helps flush out nasty toxins and bacteria that can build up
-Oregano: Easy to digest and builds immune system
Oregano for chickens is known to strengthen the immune system and is thought to help guard against common poultry illnesses such as salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian flu and E. coli.
-Morning bird cocci: cures coccidiosis
Care is a formulation for the prevention of coccidian protozoa intestinal infections
-Slurry: food and water mixture
Easier to digest and is both a source of food an water at the same time
-Plain Greek yogurt: probiotics
Yogurt is a healthy treat for chickens, and as a bonus, it helps even out the bacteria in their guts, making it easier to digest food. Feed them plain yogurt, they don't need the added sugar in other types
-Harker’s Coxitabs: cures coccidiosis
Oral treatment for the treatment and control of coccidiosis.
-Miconazole: oral antifungal Prescription required*
Miconazole is an antifungal medication used to treat ringworm and sour crop in birds
-Monistat: kills yeast
The box contained 3 suppositories and a tube of external cream. I cut the suppositories in thirds and fed the hen one third each morning, and one third each evening until all 9 pieces were gone. I continued syringe feeding yogurt, boiled egg yolk, and gruel made from finely ground chicken feed and water.

Sour Crop | Digestive Problems | The Chicken Vet. (n.d.). The Chicken Vet. Retrieved October 19, 2021, from https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/sour-crop#:~:text=Sour crop is a yeast,a fungal species) often occurring.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat.630307/
Thank you so much for this information. It is very difficult to get expert vet care for backyard chickens. I had never dealt with sour crop and did not know what it was or how to treat it when last week my Olive Egger had it. We immediately brought her to a vet only to have you die within an hour of coming home. Three days ago, my Rhode Island red showed signs of sour crop, and I decided to deal with it myself. I bought the miconazole suppositories and followed your lead. I saw improvement after the first dose. The grumbling noises subsided and the size of the crop began to shrink and she felt better. I have given her 6 doses (2 suppositories cut into 3rds), if she's better, should I continue to give the last 3 doses, or should I stop for now?
Again, I can't tell you how grateful I am to have finally found this post.

Thank you so much for this information. It is very difficult to get expert vet care for backyard chickens. I had never dealt with sour crop and did not know what it was or how to treat it when last week my Olive Egger had it. We immediately brought her to a vet only to have you die within an hour of coming home. Three days ago, my Rhode Island red showed signs of sour crop, and I decided to deal with it myself. I bought the miconazole suppositories and followed your lead. I saw improvement after the first dose. The grumbling noises subsided and the size of the crop began to shrink and she felt better. I have given her 6 doses (2 suppositories cut into 3rds), if she's better, should I continue to give the last 3 doses, or should I stop for now?
Again, I can't tell you how grateful I am to have finally found this post.
Welcome To BYC!
Are you giving the Miconazole twice a day?
Never stop treatment early. Give for a full 7 days even if you see improvement.
I highly recommend that you read the following article including the comment section. It was written by one of our very experienced, long time chicken keeping Educators.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Welcome To BYC!
Are you giving the Miconazole twice a day?
Never stop treatment early. Give for a full 7 days even if you see improvement.
I highly recommend that you read the following article including the comment section. It was written by one of our very experienced, long time chicken keeping Educators.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you- this article is wonderful. I'm only on day 3 of the Miconazole and I was thinking of stopping it since I'll be done with the 3 suppositories. No toxic effects to the chicken?

Back
Top Bottom